+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In the name of everything sweet and holy - I need a better browser

I picked up the i760 to be able to jump onto certain websites at any point in the day as well as for it's emailing capabilities.

IE for WM6 is...lacking. The current build of Opera doesn't seem to work and I don't want to yutz with a JVM just to get a browser going.

What're your thoughts? Just give up and buy a pearl?

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Opera works well ... you need to go back to 8.60 (I think that's the one) ... the one before the current one ..
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

It's not a fatal problem for me. IE with with either the PIEPlus extensions or SPB Pocket Plus extensions is nice, but you're right - some websites don't work. I find that Opera seems to work on most sites, but it has a startup error. But the startup error doesn't seem to interfere with anything - just click "Don't Send" and it goes away. I'm sure they'll have an update that fixes the problem. A few minor annoyances don't detract too much from the otherwise great experience with this phone.

8.65 works fine for me, the error I was getting at startup went away once I registered it. I couldnt live without Opera.

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jschmuck2 View Post
    . . . I don't want to yutz with a JVM just to get a browser going . . .
    Too bad, cause if you didn't mind the "yutzing" you could install the new opera "mini 4." (opera mini is not the same as opera mobile) It's an incrediblie little browser that works like the i-phone in that easily let you see the whole web page "shrunk down" and quickly zooms in on sections to look at, with great screen readability. And, unlike opera mobile, oper mini is free!

Here's what the announcement on Pocket PC Thoughts says:
    "After nearly 5 months of beta testing, Opera Software has released version 4 of its Opera Mini Web browser for mobile phones. The update includes iPhone-like capabilities that enable users to see a full overview of a page and zoom in to specific parts. When zooming, Opera Mini snaps to content so scrolling is smooth. A virtual mouse cursor aids users in moving down a page and selecting links, although the software resizes text and images to reduce the amount of scrolling required. These features were originally developed for Opera's browser on the Nintendo Wii."
    If you change your mind about the "yutzing" MWFielder posted great installation instructions, along with download links here: i760 and Opera Mini... How to Install? Following Doc Fielder's (he's a medical doctor) guide I had Opera mini v4 up and running on my i760 in less than five minutes.

Lastly, welcome to the forum Jschmuck2, lots of great people and greeat information here, but remember, search is your friend, the information you wanted could be found in a simple search..
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 11-20-2007 at 06:42 AM.
    The only constant is change.

Go with the Blackberry... then you can load Opera Mini 4 anyway, and use the same browser on a smaller screen that the rest of us are already using with our JVM that was simple to install...

Have you tried the included picsel browser yet? ...
    Samsung i760

IE works fine for me...I mean, it still is just a phone

Quote Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
    Gasp! Just...a...phone...???!?

Can someone that uses Opera Mini help me understand the benefits of shrinking, snapping and zooming other than wanting to be like the iphone? For example how would Opera Mini enhance my browsing experience of pdaphonehome? I check this site everyday looking for new posts of interest. Would Opera Mini help me scan this site faster or read the posts easier than SPB or PiePlus?

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar

I bet you don't even use a screen protector also........gasp!

Neither do I ......lol

Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post
    Too bad, cause if you didn't mind the "yutzing" you could install the new opera "mini 4." (opera mini is not the same as opera mobile) It's an incrediblie little browser that works like the i-phone in that easily let you see the whole web page "shrunk down" and quickly zooms in on sections to look at, with great screen readability. And, unlike opera mobile, oper mini is free!

Here's what the announcement on Pocket PC Thoughts says:

If you change your mind about the "yutzing" MWFielder posted great installation instructions, along with download links here: i760 and Opera Mini... How to Install? Following Doc Fielder's (he's a medical doctor) guide I had Opera mini v4 up and running on my i760 in less than five minutes.

Lastly, welcome to the forum Jschmuck2, lots of great people and greeat information here, but remember, search is your friend, the information you wanted could be found in a simple search..
    You know, if I didn't know any better, I would venture to guess that your use of quotation marks was making light of my continued usage of the word "yutz."

Well, as it turns out, you were totally right, Opera Mini blows everything else out of the water. It took me about 5 minutes to get the stupid thing on there with a shortcut and everything. As this is my first PPC, I think that's a testament to the extremely informative posters 'round these parts (now if only I could get an Opera Icon for that shortcut )

For the record though, I did do quite a bit of searching and I had seen that in order to use Opera Mini you have to start the JVM each time you wanted to run it. I really didn't know what kind of a trivial process that was (without a shortcut - with one it's really a non-issue) but now I've got it and even in the short few minutes using it, I can't really see using anything else.

I think this completely bought my i760 another week or so - I'm still considering the switch to a Pearl - but we'll see from here.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DBlocker View Post
    Can someone that uses Opera Mini help me understand the benefits of shrinking, snapping and zooming other than wanting to be like the iphone? For example how would Opera Mini enhance my browsing experience of pdaphonehome? I check this site everyday looking for new posts of interest. Would Opera Mini help me scan this site faster or read the posts easier than SPB or PiePlus?
    There is not much benefit for this site, since it offers a mobile-friendly skin. However, try using tadalist.com with PIE. There are a lot of sites out there that don't pass muster with PIE that work beautifully with Opera Mini.

Count me as a convert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jschmuck2 View Post
    You know, if I didn't know any better, I would venture to guess that your use of quotation marks was making light of my continued usage of the word "yutz." . . .
    Now Jschmuck2 (I love the screen name) come on, look at my avatar, do I look like the kind of guy that would make fun of "yutzing!!"

Seriously, glad you got a solution you like. I hope you keep the i760 and continue to hang around this forum. I think you are kind fun!

P.S. if you've done the custom shortcut/icon why don't your upload it here to save others a little work.
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 11-20-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Nice JC, thanks. Thanks MW also. Hope you found the list Jim!

Here's a link for directly using OperaMini on the i760 using Esmertec's Jbed Java.

Download the attachment and unzip. Place this in /windows/start menu/programs (thanks to the Mogul thread....)

I have now placed this as the left softkey. See next post. If you use this as an icon based shortcut, the logo is still that "E" of Esmertec. We'll find a way to get the "O" of Opera in there.

Now, I'll look at cutting out the connection permission prompt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mwfielder; 11-20-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Screenshot---see the soft key in bottom left
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In the name of everything sweet and holy - I need a better browser-sshot001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by waltie View Post
    Nice JC, thanks. Thanks MW also. Hope you found the list Jim!
    Found the list -- its locked and closed because enough was raised. Guess I'll just have to bypass the list.

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    Here's a link for directly using OperaMini on the i760 using Esmertec's Jbed Java.

Download the attachment and unzip. Place this in /windows/start menu/programs (thanks to the Mogul thread....)

I have now placed this as the left softkey. See next post. If you use this as an icon based shortcut, the logo is still that "E" of Esmertec. We'll find a way to get the "O" of Opera in there.

Now, I'll look at cutting out the connection permission prompt.
    Thanks Doc, works like a charm! Appreciate you doing all of the heavy lifting!
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 11-20-2007 at 08:10 PM.

If it was just a phone....I doubt anyone here would have waited so long for it to come out

Okay, this cuts out the 2 little prompts once you navigate to your first webpage using OperaMini and Esmertec's Jbed from this post.

**Note--I only think this works if you use the versions listed above.
    **Note--I think this particular fix only works if OperaMini is the only JVM based program you have loaded
    **Note--this has only been tested on my i760

1. Use File Explorer and navigate to \windows\appdb\selector.utf
    2. Copy that file to a place you will remember
    3. Download the attached file to somewhere on the i760 and unzip it
    4. Copy the file (selector.utf) to \windows\appdb\
    5. Explorer will ask if you want to overwrite the file and you should click yes.
    6. Close everything and start up OperaMini. You should be able to navigate each time you open OperaMini up without seeing the 2 prompts.

(thanks to the Mogul thread for the instructions....)

Let me know if you have any issues.....
    Attached Files