+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i760 and Opera Mini... How to Install?

Hey there guys. I got my i760 a few days ago and i'm a complete newbie with pda phones. I went to www.operamini.com on my phone and clicked download and nothing happens... Am I suppose to receive a prompt pf anything? I then go to program files and there is a file there under the name mini. I then click on it tells me it does not recognize the program or something and I have to run the program first to be able to accessit. I am totally lost here. Any information will totally be appreciated!!

You probably downloaded the java file and don't have a JVM installed. I'm not sure about the current release version but the Opera Mini beta (which brings all the cool features to the table that make it Opera useful) requires a Java environment.

I went through this the other day and actually decided against using it afterwards because I wasn't happy with some of the features. I found a version of Deepfish that I have been playing with instead.

The URL below describes how you can install the J9 JVM...it's a bit of a manual process. There are other JVMs out there but I am not familiar with them.

markus.brosch.net » Blog Archive » Java/Midlet Environment IBM J9 *with* JSR-75 support (updated)

New Mexico (yes that's in the USA & the water is drinkable)
    do some quick searches at PPCGeeks.com and you will find everything you need to get opera mini up and running ....

I'm out the door right now but if I have time I'll try to find you links ... the search and RTFMB methods will get you there in about 15 minutes (before I can get home)
    Favorite DNRC's inDUHvidual's quotes

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"
    "Never pet a burning dog"

...or search here on Esmertec Jbed.
    -s

Thanks for all the info everyone! I will try deepfish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone! I will try deepfish as well.
    Have you tried the Picsel browser? It is already installed on the phone, and I use it exclusively for web browsing.

Never tried Opera Mini until I d/l'd it for the BB Pearl. Wow! It is really nice, and much better than Opera mobile. So I hunted down these threads and installed it for the i760. One more step, but well worth it IMHO.

First, install esmertec JBed (Java app---stable and nice) from here: http://tinyurl.com/32hhzg (thanks AdamB). Not sure if it can go to the card; I put it in main memory.

Then, go to www.operamini.com from the i760, navigate to Opera Mini 4, and download the high memory version. I installed it to Main memory, but I think it works from the card too.

Only downside is that you have to open java first then Opera, but there are ways to shortcut that floating around on the boards here (Mogul forum link is one). I haven't tried it on the i760 yet, but I'm sure many around here have.

It is definitely an upgrade of a browser, nice option to PIE, and its free.
    Jeremiah 29:11

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Fellas,
    Thanks for pointing me to opera mini -- awsome addition.

Doc,
    Thanks for the clear, concise install info (and links) -- it took me all of 5 minutes to be up and running.

BTW, I installed jbed to storage card and it rund with no problem. Also, I opted to install Opermini version 4, high memory version -- it didn't give me an option to install it to storage, so its in main memory.
    jc
    The only constant is change.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCapraro View Post
    Fellas,
    Thanks for pointing me to opera mini -- awsome addition.

Doc,
    Thanks for the clear, concise install info (and links) -- it took me all of 5 minutes to be up and running.

BTW, I installed jbed to storage card and it rund with no problem. Also, I opted to install Opermini version 4, high memory version -- it didn't give me an option to install it to storage, so its in main memory.
    jc
    Jim are you launching java manually before you start opera mini 4?

Just a note - if you are in landscape mode, you have to scroll down to get the Opera Mini 4 links. The links on the operamini.com site are for v3.

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Jim are you launching java manually before you start opera mini 4?
    Yup, I've got a "jbed" button on my today screen. I've been thinking about doing the custom icon to run opera mini directly but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    The only constant is change.

So you have to open up the java app and then opera? Doesnt that get annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by neemo6 View Post
    So you have to open up the java app and then opera? Doesnt that get annoying?
    not when it is as pretty as it is.....

Guess Ill have to try it out. What is the custom icon thing?

OperaMini Link

Here's a link to my post in another thread to get the Link to go directly to Opera Mini using the above install.

Here's a link to my post getting rid of the 2 little prompts you get with the above install....Link

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    Never tried Opera Mini until I d/l'd it for the BB Pearl. Wow! It is really nice, and much better than Opera mobile. So I hunted down these threads and installed it for the i760. One more step, but well worth it IMHO.

First, install esmertec JBed (Java app---stable and nice) from here: http://tinyurl.com/32hhzg (thanks AdamB). Not sure if it can go to the card; I put it in main memory.

Then, go to www.operamini.com from the i760, navigate to Opera Mini 4, and download the high memory version. I installed it to Main memory, but I think it works from the card too.

Only downside is that you have to open java first then Opera, but there are ways to shortcut that floating around on the boards here (Mogul forum link is one). I haven't tried it on the i760 yet, but I'm sure many around here have.

It is definitely an upgrade of a browser, nice option to PIE, and its free.
    Hey Thanks a bunch, and God Bless! This browser works great!

Be the Church!

Thank you all

Thanks for all the great advice. I loaded jbed, then opera mini 4 and then the short cut link and im up and running. Took about 5 minutes. I like the opera mini for getting quick internet info. However i find the image quality and tabs of opera mobile a much better experience, abeit a little slower experience.

I liked Opera but I like PIE+ even better since it uses less memory and does more than Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    I liked Opera but I like PIE+ even better since it uses less memory and does more than Opera.
    I second the motion. Like PIE+