+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What features are missing from WM6?

I have seen the threads that discuss various add-on software options (which mrailing summarized here). However, I'd like to take a different approach and talk about the missing functionality that requires these various apps. That is, what is the core feature that is pushing people to buy the apps that they do?

For example, I have identified the following features that I want, but that WM6 lacks:
    • Today Screen:
      • Appointments/Tasks
      • Application launcher
      • System meters
    • System Tools:
      • Profile switching (e.g., Work, Home, Silent, Meeting, etc. )
      • Close button context menu (Close/Task Manager)
      • Battery indicator in task bar
    • Applications
      • Secure wallet
      • Full desktop Outlook PIM support for Exchange (attendees, scheduling, categories, etc.)
      • Non-WMV/WMA media player
      • Robust backup
      • Standards-compliant web browser
    What am I missing?

Thanks!

I think that if Microsoft did that, they would be sued again by the EU because they are not letting the third party software developers to make the programs

If Microsoft did what? I'm trying to figure out what features it doesn't have so that I know what software I need to buy. I didn't suggest that MS needs to add the features themselves.

WM6 does not include Terminal Services Client. There is a free workaround floating around on the forums here.
    Jeremiah 29:11

(Verizon's) WM6 does not include Live services, which is also floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    WM6 does not include Terminal Services Client. There is a free workaround floating around on the forums here.
    Actually it does. But it was Verizon's choice not to include it.

What I'm annoyed with is I can't use the number pad while in contacts to jump to various peoples names in the list. I've got to slide the phone open and use the keyboard to do that... very annoying. On my i600 (phone) you could do text entry to run thru the contacts. Granted on the 730 you couldn't but I assumed that was just because there was no numpad.

--Chris

Can't map OK button!!! I used to map it to Wisbar's CloseOK and now I can't! Unless I'm missing something.....

jv

Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    What I'm annoyed with is I can't use the number pad while in contacts to jump to various peoples names in the list. I've got to slide the phone open and use the keyboard to do that... very annoying. On my i600 (phone) you could do text entry to run thru the contacts. Granted on the 730 you couldn't but I assumed that was just because there was no numpad.

--Chris
    Yes you can, actually. But you have to hold the number buttons down for a second or so.
    Ex: I hold down 3 and it displays a 3 on the text entry screen, but selects the DEF names and then I hold down 8 and it narrows the search further.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Yes you can, actually. But you have to hold the number buttons down for a second or so.
    Ex: I hold down 3 and it displays a 3 on the text entry screen, but selects the DEF names and then I hold down 8 and it narrows the search further.

Ahh, that's not too bad then. Not great, but better then nothing. I've also found that you can more quickly do the lookup if your in the 'phone' screen instead of the 'contacts' list. Good for calling, but not being able to quickly lookup in the contacts list slows down texting. I'll live, but thanks for pointing that out. Makes it easier when driving. One thing I always missed about my i600 was being able to easily text while driving. (yes yes, it's not PC to do that... blah blah heheh).

--Chris

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv5 View Post
    Can't map OK button!!! I used to map it to Wisbar's CloseOK and now I can't! Unless I'm missing something.....

jv
    You can with Pocket Plus v 4.0
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    You can with Pocket Plus v 4.0
    didn't need pocket plus w/ my 6700 running wm5 ...

jv

Here is what I have come up with. Currently I'm torn between iLauncher and Pocket Plus. I already own PocketBreeze, or this would be a no-brainer. Pocket Plus adds two key pieces of functionality - clock for top bar in today screen and button mapping. Anyone know of any other button mappers? Thanks!

Just a note - I realize there may be better options for some of these apps, but I am coming from a Smartphone, and a lot of the licenses transfer (phoneAlarm, SplashPhoto, AgendaOne, eWallet). So, I am using those apps instead of more robust applications that may exist.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    Here is what I have come up with. Currently I'm torn between iLauncher and Pocket Plus. I already own PocketBreeze, or this would be a no-brainer. Pocket Plus adds two key pieces of functionality - clock for top bar in today screen and button mapping. Anyone know of any other button mappers? Thanks!
    You can use the hack from WM5 to add the clock to the Today Screen.

Mrailing's Time Hack

I wish iLauncher would add button mapping, but I have found the Quicklaunch shortcuts it provides are a quick way to get some shortcuts where I have needed them. For example I have Button 3 set to iLaucher Quicklaunch 1, which is set to the iLauncher command for new message. This way I can quickly start a new message. IT will likely stay this way until someone hacks the left softkey in messaging.
    Xbox Live PdaPhoneHome.com Leaderboard: Add your gamertag to the new community leaderboard!

Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine 2007 Annual Best of Software Awards Judge.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv5 View Post
    didn't need pocket plus w/ my 6700 running wm5 ...

jv
    Well this isn't the 6700, and it is a totally different OS. The lack of one thing, you get the benefit of another... This always happens when moving devices.

Quote Originally Posted by beaversoc View Post
    You can use the hack from WM5 to add the clock to the Today Screen.

Mrailing's Time Hack

I wish iLauncher would add button mapping, but I have found the Quicklaunch shortcuts it provides are a quick way to get some shortcuts where I have needed them. For example I have Button 3 set to iLaucher Quicklaunch 1, which is set to the iLauncher command for new message. This way I can quickly start a new message. IT will likely stay this way until someone hacks the left softkey in messaging.
    Thanks, but this replaces the battery meter with the clock. Spb PP gives you both.

I'm going to give AE Button a shot. If it doesn't let me map functions to the number pad, then I think I'm going to just go with Spb PP. I can live without the integration between Spb Diary/PP or SBSH PocketBreeze/iLauncher.

AE Button Plus is a no-go for me, although a braver soul might have more luck.
    Hard Buttons, or lack there of

Maybe I'm just an idiot. I'm coming from a 2003SE device and I have found while reading an e-mail if I want to forward it, I have to back out of the message and forward it from there. This is starting to become a mild nuisance. I haven't had too many other findings as I haven't had too much alone time with the device.

It's a little counter-intuitive. While in the message, select:
    Menu | Reply | Forward

ebb
    Also, for those just starting out, there are several PPC freeware sites on the web that contain programs that do pretty well compared to those that are charged for, and may meet your needs for most of the "missing" features discussed above. Freewareppc.com and freecabs.de are 2 good ones.

In particular, I like Today Agenda and Weather To Go for calendar/task and weather on the today screen. There are many, many more particularly utility-wise for battery, memory, regedit, file manager, etc.