+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    The only other thing is alarm notifications for appointments. That turns the screen on for some reason (email notifications do not).
    Yeah, my screen turns on when charging, but not when on battery. Cant seem to find a setting to fix this.

I know i am but what are you?
    dangerous - how far did you let it run down before charging each day? For these first few days, I'm letting it go below 50%. However, I'm going to have to start topping it off soon out of necessity. Thanks!
    I Just Plug the Phone in at the end of the Day Regardless of the level But typically greater than 50 percent

i'm cracking up reading these responses. my 760's slim battery goes from 80% to 35% in about 5mins of internet use use. that's at lowest brightness level and only 1 or 2 applications open at the same time. compared to my 730, this one is a joke. am I doing something wrong or did I get a lemon?

What'd you do to get it from 100% to 80? The percentage gauges aren't perfectly accurate anyway.

Do you charge the battery overnight every night?
    -s

sleeve: I started at 80% - that's all it was charged. why do u ask?

also, i'm noticing A MAJOR difference between 90% & 100% charge. is that typical?

If you're starting at 80, you're not charging. Charge every night overnight. My phone is my alarm, so I sort of have the habit of plugging it in bedside.

The charge percentage is a guess, there's marginal flaky science to it.
    -s

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by hardball2007 View Post
    sleeve: I started at 80% - that's all it was charged. why do u ask?

also, i'm noticing A MAJOR difference between 90% & 100% charge. is that typical?
    There may be some buggy behavior in the procedure call that gives us percentage of charge.

I had my battery at 85% this morning and within 4 hours it was at 30%. I put it on the charger at 11 and left it on until 1 and it showed 100% and now 6 hours later it is still at 90%

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    There may be some buggy behavior in the procedure call that gives us percentage of charge.

I had my battery at 85% this morning and within 4 hours it was at 30%. I put it on the charger at 11 and left it on until 1 and it showed 100% and now 6 hours later it is still at 90%
    last night, i left the phone at 35%, didn't connect it to the charger - this morning, it was still at 35%, made a 5 minute call and saw the battery % decrease dramatically.
    It seems very quizzical
    Kyocera 6035-> Kyocera 7135 -> Verizon 6600VX -> Samsung i760 -> AT&T Tilt

Mines hinkey, too. It's been at 35% for the past couple of hours, down from 100% this morning.

The readout on the battery life remaining is an estimate of the actual reading. You will notice this after a long call it might jump way down and then 20 minutes later it will come back up 10-20%. The CPU is estimating the life left with the current load on the system.

The best thing to do is get a feel for the system, fully charging every night for a week and see about how many hours you get on a charge, use this as your baseline, especially over the first couple of weeks owning the device (since you will be playing with it more than during this time than you will weeks later when it's all setup the way you like). For me, I can easily go from morning to night on a charge, with the occasional topoff in the car or at my desk. I got in the habit of doing this with my i730, any time I am around a charger, plug it in. Li-Ion batteries are not affected by any memory issues, and it's actually ok to top them off. A quick 20-30 minute charge can bump the life substantially since Li-Ion batteries, depending on their size, typically charge to 80% in the first 30-60 minutes, and then trickle charge to 100% (which is why many of you are seeing 80%...). It takes almost as much power to charge a li-ion battery to 80% from 20% as it does to 100% from 80%. But when you use your battery it drains slower in the first 20-40% then it does in the last 60%. This is just how li-ion batteries drain and work. They provide equal power over a greater period of time compared to Ni-MH batteries, but work a little different.

So, use it, top it off, don't run it flat, and you will have good battery life. If you search the i730 forum for "battery life" and use my username in the username box, you can find lots of explanations of best usage of a li-ion battery and a little more detailed explanation...

I'm at the point of getting worried about battery life. I work in the basement of a building where there is very little coverage. My battery was draining before my eyes, so I setup a pA profile to turn off the radio between 9a-5p (except for 2-3 meetings/day, because those are above ground and I get service). Even with this, I am getting down to 20% by 4p if I unplug at 7:30a. If this is an accurate indication of the remaining battery life, that is unacceptable.

That said, I'm more and more convinced that the remaining battery life algorithm is hosed. If I soft-reset when I am at 20%, it jumps up to 35-65% and stays there for 2-3 hours.

Is there a utility that will show you exactly what the battery is reporting, and bypass any "conversion" to a percentage?

Thanks!

I'm at the point of getting worried about battery life. I work in the basement of a building where there is very little coverage. My battery was draining before my eyes, so I setup a pA profile to turn off the radio between 9a-5p (except for 2-3 meetings/day, because those are above ground and I get service). Even with this, I am getting down to 20% by 4p if I unplug at 7:30a. If this is an accurate indication of the remaining battery life, that is unacceptable.

That said, I'm more and more convinced that the remaining battery life algorithm is hosed. If I soft-reset when I am at 20%, it jumps up to 35-65% and stays there for 2-3 hours.

Is there a utility that will show you exactly what the battery is reporting, and bypass any "conversion" to a percentage?

Thanks!
    What is probably happening is your data connection is trying to send/receive all day. Of course with your phone radio off it should not make a difference, since it's off.

I can turn off my phone radio and I can use my handheld all day, and barely use up 5% of the battery life.

Are you sure you don't have WiFi on or something else trying to connect? It sounds like to me you having something that is causing it to draing (Phone Radio, WiFi Radio, Bluetooth Radio, some strange app). I went for a motorcycle ride yesterday in the sticks of Indiana, in and out of service for almost 6 hours. I used 10% battery life during that time, and when I was in service it synced my data, downloading e-mails, getting text messages, getting notificiations, etc. By the time I got home, made a few calls, and around 10 PM, I went to put it on the cradle I still had 50% battery life (and it was off the cradle from 9 AM till 10 PM on the slim battery).

You got something else going on....

Battery life remaining is and always will be just an estimate. It uses the voltage of the battery, a weighted average current draw, and calculates the point where the battery will not be able to sustain the voltage needed to run the phone. It then divides that by the expected total charge to dead time of the battery, which is a heap of voodoo in itself.

Because your usage changes over the day, and the power needed to stay connected to the cells changes, the best that a battery gauge can do is show how long the battery will last based on how you have used it since the last time it was fully charged.

You can have 90% power, then turn on WiFi, connect to a Shoutcast server and stream audio over Bluetooth to headphones and your battery meters will read 40% remaining. Disconnect all that, wait a few minutes, and you'll be back up to 80%.

It's a guess, it's all just a guess.

Now regarding how fast you're draining power, do you have location based services turned on? Shut it off if you do, you're connecting to more than one tower and trying to hold that connection to constantly update your location. E911 only turns on tower triangulation only when 911 is dialed.
    -s

Thanks for the responses!

WiFi: off (100% certain)
    BT: off (100% certain)
    LBS: no clue - I have the E911 Today plug-in enabled, but that's it.

If I have the radio turned off, though, shouldn't that disable any location-based services? Also, it shouldn't chew up any battery life with the data connection, right?

Applications installed:
    • pA (minimal customizations at this point, since I'm coming from a Smartphone)
    • Spb Pocket Plus
    • AE Button Plus
    • WebIS FlexWallet
    • Conduits Pocket Player
    • PDANet
    • TCPMP .72 w/ ffmpeg plugin
    • SplashPhoto
    • eWallet
    • AgendaOne
    • Sprite
    Thanks again for the help!

Today, so far, I am at 90% after 4 hours, with 2 hours of the radio, WiFi, and BT turned off. Of course, it was at 85% a couple of hours ago when the radio was on. I'd still like to find a utility that shows me the raw charge remaining data.

Hi there. If I start out with a fully charged extended battery, and take the phone on a plane trip cross country... listen to tunes for about 3 hours- can I expect to have juice after the plane trip? Needless to say, the radio won't be on during the flight. I've never really used the old 130 to listen to music, so I have no idea about the battery usage. I just want to be able to use the cell phone for a few hours after the flight. Will this be possible without switching out batteries?

Thanks
    Nadine

I think maybe I've got a bum battery. I'm trying the slim battery. After 1.5 hours from a full charge with all of the same settings, it's still at 95%. With the extended battery, I would be to 90% at best.

I realize the % is not a true indicator of how much juice is left, so I'll give this a go for the next couple of days. Hopefully I won't have to do a full exchange if the extended battery is shot (not sure what that would do to my ability to get the rebate).

Power supply designer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    Battery life remaining is and always will be just an estimate. It uses the voltage of the battery, a weighted average current draw, and calculates the point where the battery will not be able to sustain the voltage needed to run the phone. It then divides that by the expected total charge to dead time of the battery, which is a heap of voodoo in itself.
    To make this even more voodoo, one of the characteristics of Li ion batteries is that the voltage does not change much form 100% charge to a very low charge state, when the voltage just tanks. Other battery technologies have more of a dependence of voltage on charge state which made it easier to estimate charge state. So the downside of a much more energy dense battery technology (Li-ion) is the inability to accurately measure charge state.

I am at 80% after 4 hours on the small battery. So I think it must be a bad extended battery.

Today I got about 11 hours out of the small battery, so I definitely got a bad extended battery. I called *611, and they told me to take it into the store to exchange. I did that, and my new extended battery is charging right now.

Once I confirmed that it was the battery, not the phone, I went ahead and ordered the Pocket Solutions Power Pack #3 and some screen protectors. Now I am ready to roll!