+ Reply to Thread
    I know i am but what are you?

How long should you charge the Battery on Its first charge

How long should you charge the Battery on Its first charge

I thought i read from someone, sclevan maybe that it needs to be charged for 8 hours?

I always just charge it full....little light will turn green! I don't think the batteries have be trained like the earlier ones, but there is a lot of debate on it. However, getting it full I think is all you can do.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Comfortably Converged
    i don't think it makes a noticeable difference. i start using my stuff right out of the box. even if i gotta have it plugged into the charger while i do.

Great,
    i dont' think it charges with USB though.

Comfortably Converged
    no it doesnt

Just charge the battery to full charge. It takes a few cycles of Li-ion batteries to reach their full potential. Typically to get the best battery life with Li-ion batteries you want to drain to at least 50% for a few cycles, and then charge to full. You never want to drain fully (although they contain circuitry that prevents a FULL drain) Li-Ion batteries, since they once they get to a certain point they have a difficult time charging again.

Also with these batteries, you want to top off the charge whenever you can. These batteries like this. Although they still need to be exercised occasionally, but draining to 30-50% and charged up, keeping a constant charge on them is something that is GOOD for them.

This is something that is proven with R/C vehicles, and if you want really geeky in-depth information, search some R/C (remote control) forums about battery maintenance. But as a general rule, charge until it says it's charged, top it off whenever you want, and exercise it occasionally, but try to keep the charge above 20% to maintain a good long battery life.

i don't think with this phone it will be a problem draining to 30 - 50%. i'm sure theirs another thread on Battery Life.

It won't be a problem to drain it completely (it has protection built in), but to get the longest battery life possible, it's best to charge it off at 30% or better, this will make the battery last the longest and give it the best performance.

Just curious... how long did it take your phone to fully charge the first time? I'm dying to play with it!!

each device is different, some recommend you drain it completely first, then do a full charge, and some recommend you charge it full before turning on the device. In most cases, refering to the manual will tell you which is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    each device is different, some recommend you drain it completely first, then do a full charge, and some recommend you charge it full before turning on the device. In most cases, refering to the manual will tell you which is recommended.
    I can't find anything about the initial setup in my manual. I thought that was pretty odd. For previous phones this type thing has been included in a getting started guide, but not with this phone.

question for mrailing: I just got the desktop charger, with an additional travel charger. Of course now everytime I put the phone on the desktop charger it will get charged or stay charged.

1- will that be a problem for the batteries if they are exposed to so much of top-off charging?
    2- is it a good idea to leave the secondary battery in the desktop charger as well for days, or should I just keep it aside?

Thanks, S

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA View Post
    question for mrailing: I just got the desktop charger, with an additional travel charger. Of course now everytime I put the phone on the desktop charger it will get charged or stay charged.

1- will that be a problem for the batteries if they are exposed to so much of top-off charging?
    2- is it a good idea to leave the secondary battery in the desktop charger as well for days, or should I just keep it aside?

Thanks, S
    I thought I read a post from mrailing earlier that said it actually helped to "top off" the battery on a regular basis.

topping off on regular basis, does this mean, just leave it plugged in as often as you can and not worry about frying the batter?

also does this mean leave the secondary battery in the desktop charger at all times?

Thanks, S
    Quote Originally Posted by kim. View Post
    I thought I read a post from mrailing earlier that said it actually helped to "top off" the battery on a regular basis.
    topping off on regular basis, does this mean, just leave it plugged in as often as you can and not worry about frying the batter?

also does this mean leave the secondary battery in the desktop charger at all times?
    I top mine off when possible, either in the car or in my office. I just drop it in and let it charge. Li-Ion batteries do not have any issues with memory of charging.

I personally don't leave a battery charging for too terribly long. I normally carry all of mine. If you left it for a day or two, I don't think that would matter, but I wouldn't leave it for a week/month in the charger, since you do want to "exercise" your battery on occasion.

Just swap them at least once a week, if not more often, and you should be fine, and when the green light comes on, it's charged. When you get time, pull it out and take it with you. Li-Ion batteries lose very little of their charge by just sitting, so even taking it with you for a few days without charging (after full) shouldn't drain but maybe 1%.

Also if you are going to store a Li-Ion battery for an extended period of time, make sure it's full charged before you store it. When Li-Ion batteries get to low, they don't like to come back to life and won't let you charge again, this is why it's best to not run the battery fully out (although there is circuitry in the batteries to keep them from going that low).

thanks very much for the clarification!