+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tether and Charge the Battery?

For those of you that were lucky enough to get an i760 already, I have a question about tethering...

On my friends Blackjack (AT&T), when he is tethered, the battery wont charge via the USB cable, resulting in fast battery drain (This seems completely absurd to me... but whatever). I have never owned a Samsung PDA, so I am wondering if the same limitations are enforced on the i760. I do not want to carry around 3 extended batteries if I need to tether for an entire day. I hope that sync/charge/tether can all happen at once.

Thanks for the info!

I've already sent a request to Boxwave asking them to make a charging miniSync. Both PocketPCTechs and Boxwave have helped us in the past. If I don't hear anything in the next couple of days, I'll call them.

Out of the box, and with current accessories, there is no charging ability in the USB cable. Samsung likes to jack around their pinouts and the methods they use to toggle from fast to trickle in their chargers so the aftermarket needs some time and people with no patience buy the Samsung crap. I'd say wait, but that doesn't seem to fit the profile of the 760 consumer.
    -s

Epic Geek
    pocketsolution sells a sync and charge cable for the ZX 20, The part number on the i760 sync cable matches the part number on the ZX 20 sync cable so perhaps that would work.

Once I can get my hands on the device I will probably order one.

SD had to hack the radio software to get tethering to work on the 730 without paying Verizon monthly extortion or using PDAnet. Won't the same be needed for the 760?
    on the bleeding edge

Yup.

But meanwhile, I think it was sixftunda who confirmed that sarcasm's BT hack from the 730 works on the 760, so we can at least get Bluetooth tethering. The BT on the 760 is 2.0 so the stated download is 2mbit instead of 720kbit. Neither actually occur in reality, but BT 2.0 will be less of a throttle on EVDO than BT 1.1 was.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    pocketsolution sells a sync and charge cable for the ZX 20, The part number on the i760 sync cable matches the part number on the ZX 20 sync cable so perhaps that would work.

Once I can get my hands on the device I will probably order one.
    Just received my power pack from pocket solutions, travel charger, vehicle charger and sync/charging usb cable.

Yes indeed, it synchs - it charges.

Good quality construction - I will use everything and report back.

Wow--I'm surprised they had something this quick. It's not even out yet!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Epic Geek
    I think you will find that there are some accessories that work already since the ZX20 has been out for quite some time and seems to use the same connectors and pinouts.

IT Pro

MacMedia

Michael turned me onto MacMedia back in 2006 for the i730. I bought their PowerFlex charger (awesome) and their 3ft retractable charge/sync cable. I have been very happy with both products, and have used them extensively. I would say they are made with excellent build quality. I just checked out the MacMedia website, and they do not have the cable for the i760. I sent them an email asking if they had plans to support it and mentioned the pinouts were identical to the ZX20. I will report back with what they have to say...
    -Spencer

IT Pro

You gotta love MacMedia...

It's a saturday and I got a response back in less than 60 minutes. Here is the email I wrote and what I got back:

"Hi Spencer

I believe since your last purchase of the Powerflex, we have updated it to support all ipods and with CE certification. Please check your Powerflex. Does it have a silver sticker on one end (newer models have this).

Yes, we are keeping track of the release date for the i760. Since we haven’t seen the phone, I don’t know which cable connection it is going to get. We have every plan to get a cable for this ASAP. If what you say about the ZX20 cable similarities is true, we’ll have a cable almost immediately.

Thanks for your support of our products!

Regards,
    Kent
    Mac Media USA, Inc. "

On 10/13/07 5:08 PM, "Spencer" wrote:

Hello-

I purchased a powerflex charger and i730 retractable cable from you folks in 2006. Has the powerflex charger changed since then? Been updated, etc?

More importantly, with the VZW Samsung i760 going on sale next week, I was curious if you had plans to support this phone. I believe it has the same pinouts as the ZX20.

Thanks,

Spencer
    -Spencer

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomu View Post
    Just received my power pack from pocket solutions, travel charger, vehicle charger and sync/charging usb cable.

Yes indeed, it synchs - it charges.

Good quality construction - I will use everything and report back.
    THANKS MAN! -I just order both the data/charge cable as well as the travel charger (so I can actually use my desktop charger)!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    Yup.

But meanwhile, I think it was sixftunda who confirmed that sarcasm's BT hack from the 730 works on the 760, so we can at least get Bluetooth tethering. The BT on the 760 is 2.0 so the stated download is 2mbit instead of 720kbit. Neither actually occur in reality, but BT 2.0 will be less of a throttle on EVDO than BT 1.1 was.
    So the hack allows DUN without paying the $15/month tethering fee?
    Managing Director
    HyTek Hosting, LLC
    www.hytekhosting.com

TBD, but since it all falls down to the same RIL, I'd say no.
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    TBD, but since it all falls down to the same RIL, I'd say no.
    Just tested and it works! Only problem is that I am getting bad speed but that may be location related.
    Managing Director
    HyTek Hosting, LLC
    www.hytekhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
    Just tested and it works! Only problem is that I am getting bad speed but that may be location related.
    Now for some reason I am unable to connect.
    Managing Director
    HyTek Hosting, LLC
    www.hytekhosting.com

Let's keep tethering information, issues and instructions to a different thread (the actual act of tethering), since this thread is more about getting power to the device while tethering, not about tethering itself. Otherwise this is going to get confusing very quickly...

OK so where can I order this zx20 bundle of joy?
    i910- No matter where you go, there you are - I miss my I760

Quote Originally Posted by Sointense View Post
    OK so where can I order this zx20 bundle of joy?
    They have already updated their website:
    Samsung i760 Accessories : (5 Star Rating) Google Checkout available.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    Thanks for the link!!
    i910- No matter where you go, there you are - I miss my I760

Question for you money bags .... If you buy the sync/charge USB cable and the docking station, will it sync and charge or just sync?

jv