+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i760 vs HTC Kaiser

Most sources say the HTC Kaiser will be released in July/August, which isn't much longer than the release of the i760. It seems to be better than the i760 in many regards (with the little information we have, since both devices are not released yet).

i760 pros 60 x 110 x 20 millimetres; 150g
    Looks sweet
    Keypad layout in the front is awesome
    Is slightly lighter than the HTC

HTC pros 58 x 110 x 18 millimetres; 160g
    More ROM and RAM
    HSUPA
    3mp camera
    Front camera for videoconferencing
    Integrated SiRFStar III GPS
    Is slightly thinner than the i760

Most sources state they have the same CPU (one source states the htc has a qualcomm processor), and both have windows mobile 6. In addition, the HTC should have more accessories available than the i760.

Epic Geek
    Only one problem, its not a CDMA device. And I wouldn't wish Cingular on my worst enemy.

My wife has cingular and I have verizon. We don't have any issues with either and my contract with Verizon ends in July, so I'm not stuck with any provider.

I'm going for the Kaiser. Unless I get the 8525 first, and just flash it with WM6.

Is there a thread on the HTC Kaiser?

Do we know which carrier will have it? I figure not VZW

Kaiser is supposedly destined for AT&T.

Anyone want to start a thread on this?

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar

>HTC pros 58 x 110 x 18 millimetres; 160g
    >More ROM and RAM
    >HSUPA
    >3mp camera
    >Front camera for videoconferencing
    >Integrated SiRFStar III GPS
    >Is slightly thinner than the i760

As much as all that sounds freakin' awesome, and even if it were CDMA and verizon would carry it, there is one, and only one, thing that will make me move from my Verizon 6700 to the i760. That is the numeric keypad on the front.

That is a deal breaker for me going forward.

Joe

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    Very tempting after reading about it. Hmmmmmm......

Is the i760 cpu dual-core? The specs on the Kaiser tout a dual-core proc (1 dedicated to the phone and 1 dedicated to applications). I followed the link to the specs but the Samsung site had no details. Kaiser looks impressive.

- kc
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by karkclent View Post
    Is the i760 cpu dual-core? The specs on the Kaiser tout a dual-core proc (1 dedicated to the phone and 1 dedicated to applications). I followed the link to the specs but the Samsung site had no details. Kaiser looks impressive.

- kc
    I believe its only one CPU
    i760 VZW

The CPU is a 32bit Qualcomm MSM7200 Chipset, which is dual core.
    MSM7200 Chipset Solution

It's faster than the HTC 8525, which I believe is using the same CPU as the i760
    MyMobile911 Homepage - Benchmark for HTC Kaiser

The graphics benchmark is particularly impressive.
    Last edited by Nightspirit; 07-10-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Wow. I'm willing to wait for this even when the I760 comes out. a pda, phone & gps all in one. That's all a girl could ask for!
    Hopefully, AT&T isn't as bad as it was when I left them years ago for verizon
    I'm even willing to give up my 21% discount rate that I get with verizon.

HTC Kaiser = AT&T Ends it For Me!!!

AT&T definitely has a bad rap in regard to their service, and that reputation has held true around here. I'm not one of the lucky who's offices pay for their phones, and we have had VZW, T-Mobile, and AT&T/Cingular services in our office. Keeping this applicable, everybody who has owned AT&T has dropped the service within a couple months because the kept dropping calls (well, OK, Cingular says it has the fewest dropped calls - but something was happening so that they couldn't hear each other ). That is the biggest reason that I would have to avoid the Kaiser (there are a couple more, though). It's been more and more interesting to me lately to see the implications of my decision making about wireless tech due to the way service providers control that tech. In the end, whether the manufacturer likes it or not, one of the features of the phone is its service provider. In fact, right now, it is my most important feature. Sometimes I hate that. It'll be nice to have a little more freedom if/when the equipment is more easily "unlockable".

Also, the i760 has the keypad on the front. I like that. It keeps the "one hand" use available. If I've done a long email or taken long notes on my i730, I've ended up using the unit with two hands. However, I love that I can just slide the unit up, dial calls or quickly one hand emails or texts all the time. VERY USEFULL! The i760 at least lets me keep doing the dials, but it appears there will also be T9 on that pad as well. That about does it for me. Even though the power in the Kaiser gets me one step closer to being able to drive my car with my phone, the i760 fits better into my life. In some way, I guess I'm dumbing my phone down to fit my needs.

...but that's just me.

Yes, if you look at the non-cdma world you will find that the devices they are carrying are the best on the market in terms of hardware config. HTC builds subquality products however as I have read in the forums of HTC devices things like the handset was not built to be used for phone calls apart from a headset. Sammy's seem indestructable, they have even survived unintentional baths on many occasions. Many dont want a landscape keyboard unless they have the number pad in the front. On handedness while driving is a must for many, myself included. And lastly, for those on the East Coast it is not that big of a deal, but noncdma on the west coast is painfull at best. there are many cdma only areas.

I need a current WM device that will hold up to my abuse, work flawlessly as a phone, one handed especially, and have the power I need to do business from my phone. The 760 does that the best. It is subpar to most of the other new devices in many ways, but it is the best new cdma device on the market, when it gets on the market.
    John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts.

"HTC builds subquality products however as I have read in the forums of HTC devices things like the handset was not built to be used for phone calls apart from a headset."

I have both an i730 and an HTC 8525. The build quality is about the same. The backplate of the 8525 is a little flimsy but I've never known anyone to have it come off. In addition (although this may not be about hardware, but software) I rarely softboot my 8525 (about once per month), but have to do so regularly (ie daily) with my three i730s (with the same programs installed, and yes I've tried hardbooting). Thats one of my concerns with the i760, is that I need something reliable. I think what I am going to do is wait a month after release and see how reliable the device is, then decide if I am getting a kaiser or i760.

Both the i760 and kaiser are landscape.

edit: another thing holding me back is the lack of a scroll wheel, which I find very helpful (I rarely have to use the stylus with this). So for me it is either front numeric keypad or a scrollwheel. I want both
    Last edited by Nightspirit; 07-12-2007 at 11:35 PM.

I'm going to be all over the Kaiser. It seems like the ultimate work horse and from all the reviews I've read - presumably by people familiar with HTC devices - its build quality seems strong (it would have to be if they were bold enough to be a tilt screen on it).

I've never had a GSM phone so I don't know anything about SIM cards. I read that you have to have a phone on a GSM network, presumably one of the freebies you get when you open an account, and then you would transfer the SIM from that phone into the Kaiser. Is that true, or would AT&T just give you a SIM card when you activate the phone?