+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2007 Time Zone Update information for WM devices

UPDATE:

It seems Microsoft has heard the cries for an official update, and finally released one. Go here for more information and to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...g/default.mspx

It seems that Microsoft's file is IDENTICAL to my file below, besides the fact that mine says my username in it, and their file says Microsoft. There are some more instructions on their site that explains getting your computer up to date as well, so check out their page above, and run all of their fixes to make sure you are up to date.

=============================

Well it was brought up in another thread:

Daylight Savings Time Question

that in 2007 the dates will be adjusted for time zones, and mentioned in Microsoft KB Article 923953. I have created a CAB file to implement the changes to the registry and it's attached here (will be on/after November 5, 2006)

This affects the following Time Zones:

Because of the Energy Policy Act, daylight saving time is extended by four weeks in 2007. This change affects the following time zones:
    • GMT-3:30 Newfoundland
    • GMT-4 Atlantic
    • GMT-5 Eastern US
    • GMT-6 Central US
    • GMT-7 Mountain US
    • GMT-8 Pacific US
    • GMT-9 Alaska

Download the file, rename the extension from .TXT to .CAB and then copy to your device, run the CAB and it will make the changes discussed in the KB Article. After running the file do these steps:

1. Go to Start > Settings > Clock & Alarms > Time tab.
    2. Change the current time zone to any time zone other than the one that is currently selected.
    3. Tap OK and tap Yes to save changes to the clock settings.
    4. Change the current time zone to the one you want to use.
    5. Tap OK and tap Yes to save changes to the clock settings.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrailing; 02-14-2007 at 10:53 AM.

I already installed a cab I created from the KB article. Did I screw my phone up... I don't really even know if I created it correctly or if it installed correctly, how can I tell??

Well if you already did it, then you might have messed up this years time zone change, but probably not. Since the clock already changed to it's current time, then it might be fine, but then again, on November 4, 2006 you might roll back ANOTHER hour, since you added this information in to the registry already. Really only time will tell, and this is why I haven't posted the cab file yet.

In the Microsoft article here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx

Which was in the reference section of the KB article, it discusses testing it in a working environment but then removing it before the Oct 27th date to make sure clocks change and not to implement it till after November 4. Microsoft also talks about releasing a global update for the Microsoft products they support (Windows XP SP2, 2003 Servers). This update will already be included in Vista, and for those that aren't supported you will manually have to update.

So read through that information. And you might roll back another hour on November 4, but I really don't know, I am holding off until then....

Is WM2003SE covered under this update?
    In the palm of my hand...

To tell you the truth I have no idea if this will work with WM2003, but it's worth a try. I have yet to finish reading all the information about this on MS's website, but I don't know whether they have mentioned anything restricting it to WM5, but once I know for sure, or if someone else knows, then we will find out.

Yes, it will work. Or at least it did on another PDA device I have running WM2003. At the end of the MSKB entry it shows which OS's it applies to:
    • Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PC Standard Edition
    • Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 software for Smartphone
    • Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 software for Smartphone
    • Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software for Smartphone
    • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC
    • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition
    • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphones
    Last edited by Pebblecrusher; 11-01-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Guess that answers it. So on Sunday morning I should be posting the newest file and it should work for ALL Windows Mobile devices. I made the CAB file be open to ANY device, Smartphone and Pocket PC alike, so it should load with no issues.

I just want to make sure that folks realize that this should not be used on a WinCE device. There is a link in the MSKB entry showing a completely different approach for those devices.

Thanks guys
    In the palm of my hand...

Mike-
    Not sure about your CAB file, but I built mine with a copy of the MSKB webpage (graphics and all). It puts a copy of the webpage in My Documents and creates a folder under there with the graphics. Doesn't look pretty on the i730, but I figured having the information was better than nothing. My HTML skills are lacking or I would modify the page to make it look better.

If you want it let me know. Figured it could be a sort of Help file.

I compiled mine with WinCE CAB Manager and included a text file/Readme in the My Documents path with information on the original article and links to this thread for discussion and support. It also has a nice uninstall with it as well.

Basically it's all the information on what they need and where to get it once they load the update.

Sounds good, especially since the difference in size. The first CAB file I built was barebones and 4k in size. The one with the webpage and graphics is 185k.

I'm curious what you mean about the uninstall. Doesn't Remove Programs remove it correctly?

My CAB is only 6.46 KB and it includes the information from the webpage, links to the page, and links here and some additional information all placed in the My Documents folder on the device.

Some cab builders don't place the uninstall information in, or you have the option to include it. I made the file as generic as possible so that all the devices could load it (those listed in post #6).

I know we're off topic now, but you've given me something to look into concerning the CAB file. I've never seen anything about uninstall options, but then I am not extremely well versed in writing INF files. I write my INF files by hand and use CABWiz to make the CAB file. The one I built does show up in Remove Programs and can be removed that way. Just trying to figure out if you are talking about something else, or if I have been doing something right and not known it.

What happened to the file?

Zubcut

Been out of town, today was the first back, which I thought I was going to be back earlier in the week.

File will be posted in the first post soon...

Registered User TrickyFrenchman's Avatar
    Thanks for all you do. Appreciateit!

Im probebly just slow but I downloaded the WM 2007 Time Zone Update to my PC, renamed it WM 2007 Time ZOne Update.cab, it remained looking like a text file, when I copied it to my sd card and clicked on it, it just opened with jarbled looking lettering..did I do something wrong? What am I missing? I hope I didnt screw my phone up or anything..its brand new and I JUST formatted and installed everything perfectly.
    Last edited by Dominick_7; 12-03-2006 at 12:16 PM.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

You didn't really change the extension, you just named it WM 2007 Time ZOne Update.cab.txt. The easiest way is to copy the text file to the device and use Total Commander to rename it. Total Commander is a great little PPC file manager that can be found here: http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7
    Im probebly just slow but I downloaded the WM 2007 Time Zone Update to my PC, renamed it WM 2007 Time ZOne Update.cab, it remained looking like a text file, when I copied it to my sd card and clicked on it, it just opened with jarbled looking lettering..did I do something wrong? What am I missing? I hope I didnt screw my phone up or anything..its brand new and I JUST formatted and installed everything perfectly.
    You probably don't have file extensions turned on on your computer.

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
    2. Click the View tab.
    3. Clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box.

Now you will see file extensions, and you can change the actual extension.