Closed Thread

A Super Charged i730? Can this be for real?!?

First of all, let me appologise if this has already been posted somewhere else - I tried running searches for the past two days, but kept on getting the following message: "There seems to have been a slight problem with the pdaPhoneHome.com database." That having been said, does anyone know if the following link is a hoax, or can I actually purchase an i730 with these specs?

Here's the link (info about half way down on page):
    http://evdo-coverage.blogspot.com/

Here's the advertisement:

New i730 Finally Arrives!... SuperCharged! EVDO Beta Version Too! Come and Get'em!!!
    I've gotten about oh... (placing pinky finger at corner of mouth) one milllllion requests for the i730. It's finally here. How's it compare to the XV6600? Well, it has BUILTIN WIFI!!! + has a 20% faster Stock CPU + and much nicer sliding keyboard...
    . BUT it also has a smaller screen (smaller can sometimes be better.

Cost:
    $499 with 2 years service
    $719 retail.
    $1475 for the SuperCharged! i730...
    (allow 3 days for qual control and shipping)

$1475: SuperCharged!

Stock Retail Specs are below:
    Modes: CDMA 850 / CDMA 1900
    Weight: 6.44 oz (183 g) / 6.52 oz SuperCharged!
    Dimensions: 4.49" x 2.28" x 0.97" (114 x 58 x 25 mm)
    Battery Life Talk: ? / 30% longer SuperCharged!
    Standby: ? / 120% longer SuperCharged!
    Battery Type: LiIon1000 mAh
    Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
    Size: 240 x 320 pixels Platform / OS Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs
    Version: 2003 2nd Edition
    CPU: 520 MHz Intel Bulverde processor / 700 MHz SuperCharged! and Overclocked
    Memory: 128 MB (built-in, flash shared memory) plus 64 MB RAM memory Phone Book Capacity shared memory FCC ID A3LSCHI730 (Approved Dec 23, 2004)
    1.1 Gig SuperCharged!
    Alarm: Yes
    Bluetooth: version 1.1 / primary supported profiles: headset, handsfree, OBEX Calculator Yes Calendar: Yes Custom Graphics Yes Custom Ringtones Yes Digital TTY/TDD Yes E-Mail Client
    Protocols Supported: POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, BlackBerryPocket Outlook / supports attachments with Picsel file viewer Expansion Card
    Card Type: MultiMediaCard (MMC) / Secure Digital (SD)
    supports SDIO Games Yes
    Headset Jack: (2.5 mm) Yes
    High-Speed Data Technology: 1xEV-DO
    Infrared: (IR) can control home entertainment system / Remote Control Installed SuperCharged!
    Integrated PDA: Yes
    MP3 Player: Yes
    Multiple Numbers per Name: Yes
    PC Sync: ActiveSync
    Polyphonic Ringtones: Yes
    Ringer Profiles: Yes
    Side Keys up/down, voice memo keys on left, plus key lock, screen dim switch / voice control key on right
    Speaker Phone: Yes
    Streaming Multimedia: Yes
    Text Keyboard Layout: QWERTYsliding
    Text Messaging 2-Way: Yes
    To-Do List: Yes
    Touch Screen: Yes
    USB: Yes
    Vibrate: Yes
    Voice Dialing speaker-independent (VoiceSignal) Voice Memo: Yes
    Wi-Fi 802.11b standard Wireless Internet Browser Software: Internet Explorer plus Picsel browser and file viewer

SuperCharged Specs ARE:
    VOIP Enabled
    Home Entertainment System Remote Control Installed
    VOIP
    World Phone
    Voice Dialing
    Unique Caller Ring Tones
    Voice Full Operation - every task is voice enabled
    Weight: 6.52 oz SuperCharged!
    Battery Life Talk: ? / 30% longer SuperCharged!
    Standby: ? / 120% longer SuperCharged!
    Memory: 1.1 Gig SuperCharged!

Supposedly:

- its 40-50% faster
    - Voip WIFI enabled - built in.
    - Doubles as a 2000kbps EVDO Modem for your Laptop
    - Battery Life Talk: 30% longer
    - Standby: 120% longer
    - Onboard Memory: 1.1 Gig

If it's not real, then it's not just a joke or a hoax - it's an out-right scam... Pay Pal will actually complete the $1475 Transaction. I don't want to be some sob story...

I'M SKEPTICAL - ANYONE ELSE???

(Sorry for this being so long...)
    Blossem where you're planted.

Palm IIIx >> Handspring >> Palm V >> Kyocera 6035 >> Kyocera 7135 >> Samsung i730

I don't doubt that it's possible to do what they did, but I wouldnl't pay $1475 for it.

First off it doesn't say specifically that it has 1.1 GB of onboard memory, it just implies it since it says "1.1gb supercharged!" near the onboard ram figure. They could have just included a 1GB SD card, and then rounding to 2 digits you have 1.1gb. There aren't 1.1gb ram chips so if they actually swapped out the ram chip onboard, they'd end up with a nice even number still. I seriously doubt they could have added more memory onto the address bus because there's probably no friggin room to do that in there. Unless it's one of those strange space-bending places that's actually lot bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. You know, like the Huxtable's house from the Cosby show. How many kids did they have anyway, and was Claire ever pregnant? Maybe Cliff was stealing babies from work.

As far as the battery, it just has a third party battery that is 3.7 V and more than 1700mAh. There are many third party battery makers for cell phones, laptops, pda's... pets.... Okay maybe not pets. Well unless it's a robotic pet. But those aren't really pets, those are toys. Oh yeah there's another for the list... toys.

For clock speed, they probably just overclocked it by replacing the oscillator or perhaps even simply setting some jumpers. I'm not going to open mine up to check out what's in there until my 15 day trial is up.

They don't say they have the Bluetooth modem profile enabled, so for the modem it's probably just via USB cable.

Everything else sounds like just bundled software to me.

Oh except for the weight, that's probably not software. Unless it's a booklet of EULA's attached to the phone. But i'm gonna guess that isn't it. It'd be neat if the Supercharged version actually made it lighter, say by a factor of 2. That'd be quite a trick, and probably worth $1475.

Re: A Super Charged i730? Can this be for real?!?

Originally posted by malanhome
    If it's not real, then it's not just a joke or a hoax - it's an out-right scam... Pay Pal will actually complete the $1475 Transaction. I don't want to be some sob story...

I'M SKEPTICAL - ANYONE ELSE???
    VOIP Enabled. Add Skype. Cost $0.00
    Home Entertainment System Remote Control Installed. Already included. Cost $0.00
    VOIP World Phone: Skype again. Cost $0.00
    Voice Dialing. Already included. Cost $0.00
    Unique Caller Ring Tones. Shareware program. Cost ~$20.00
    Voice Full Operation - every task is voice enabled. Included voice signal. Cost $0.00
    Weight: 6.52 oz SuperCharged! Weight included! Cost $0.00
    Battery Life Talk: ? / 30% longer. SuperCharged! Included extended battery. Cost $0.00
    Standby: ? / 120% longer SuperCharged! Included extended battery. Cost $0.00
    Memory: 1.1 Gig SuperCharged! Added 1GB SD Card. Typical cost ~$80.00

In other words, this bucket of clowns has marked up the cost of this phone $756 ($1475-$719) to give you, the unsuspecting mark in this scam, ~$100 worth of upgrades. Even if they're throwing in Voice Command (probably not) instead of voice signal, you're still paying at least $600 over its value. Avoid this deal.

One thing we can learn from this scam though is that it looks like we can safely overclock the i700 to 700mhz. Or maybe it isn't safe and they don't care because they don't provide any warranty or support. I wouldn't want to be the first to do it cuz i'm not rich, but if anyone else wants to figure out how to overclock, do it, see if their phone keeps working for a while, and tell the rest of us how to do it, that'd be great.

Thumbs down Duh...

Thanks for the input. I almost made a HUGE mistake (DOH!) Kupe pointed out what now seems obvious - this appears to be nothing more than some cheap/free upgrades paraded around as some exclusive phone than no one else has. I think I'll opt for the $100 upgrade vs. the $700 one... DUH! I give this super charged phone a super charged THUMBS DOWN!
    Blossem where you're planted.

Palm IIIx >> Handspring >> Palm V >> Kyocera 6035 >> Kyocera 7135 >> Samsung i730

Robert Kim

There is a thread here talking about this guy and how he operates:

http://www.EVDOforums.com/about474.html
    EVDOguy
    EVDO Info

Thanks for the info on this. With everything I have read, I think this thread speaks for itself, and I am going to close it so we don't continue discussing about nothing.

Thanks for the information.