+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Triangle Powers Software

i used this to stop the lights it has some more stuff but it gets the job done.

something else you may like is the HTC task manager
    All Extracted HTC Apps (cab & oem included) - xda-developers
    (it allows you just hit the X button and close the program, instead of having to go through the whole process of trying to close the program through the start menu.)

Thanks. Unfortunately I just read that it disables the vibrate mode too. That won't work for me.

Professional Phone User Thundaar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbess View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately I just read that it disables the vibrate mode too. That won't work for me.
    if one searches one shall find....

LED killer
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ler-3-1-a.html

Unhappy Verizon Wireless specific setup

Hello folks,

Trying not to be "segregationist" in asking this. No offense to our Sprint or Alltel brothers and sisters intended... I am looking at getting the XV6800 when I return in a few weeks and one of the things that I have noticed is that most of the issues/hacks/software/fixes/tweaks seem to be Sprint centric. I am sure that part of this is due to them getting the pdaphone out before Verizon. However, I am interested in being able to hit the ground running when I get home for my wife and I. It will be her first pdaphone and she will be less forgiving than I am of stuff like the volume issue.

My questions are:

What are Verizon specific hacks to overcome known/fixed issues (i.e. volume)?

Are there specific programs that have been ported over to the XV6800 (i.e. SMS threaded program)?

Are there programs that folks have utilized that improve the XV6800 user experience (both pay and free)?

Is there an easy way of determining if software is specifically meant for the Sprint model or the Verizon Model? If so, can "Sprint software" easily be used with the Verizon Model?

I think this is the gist of my questions. Before anyone whacks me, I have used PPCs for a long time. I realize that there are programs out there like Pocket Informant that you can download and install. I have used an i730 for a while. It was only used by Verizon, so there wasn't conflicting information or provider specific fixes available...

Thanks to everyone in advance...

Regards,

Squid
    Somewhere in Afghanistan
    Last edited by Squid; 01-25-2008 at 04:04 PM.

I just got the XV6800 and didn't really have to do anything out of the box. There are definitely somethings that will make your life better, but nothing that I have found essential to the initial operation of the handset. My volume was good out of the box.

Good Luck,

Bob
    Last edited by rduckwor1; 01-24-2008 at 04:36 PM.
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Thumbs down Better Choice Out there

Look at the Tilt at AT&T. I was a Verizon(Cell One) customer for 23 years and after 2 months of research and asking friends went with the Tilt at AT&T.

Verizon coverage is slightly better BUT their equipment and pricing does not compare. I looked at the 6800 but the Tilt has GPS built in that is capable of using a stand alone program like Tom Tom, MS Live, Google Maps etc so you do not have to pay extra. After looking at a friends 6800 there are several "minor" advantages to the Tilt.

The 6800 is a good unit for Verizon but it does not meet the competition.

One thing; if u loose the tilt u are SOL no insurance.........................

Quote Originally Posted by LKYSTEVE View Post
    Verizon coverage is slightly better BUT their equipment and pricing does not compare. I looked at the 6800 but the Tilt has GPS built in that is capable of using a stand alone program like Tom Tom, MS Live, Google Maps etc so you do not have to pay extra. After looking at a friends 6800 there are several "minor" advantages to the Tilt.
    There is no question that AT&T gets new technology before Verizon, but I'd rather have reliable service. AT&T is just not reliable in my market (my wife's work phone is AT&T). Based on my usage, it would cost me $20 more per month for AT&T service. Plus, I paid $50 less for my XV6800 than you can get the Tilt for with AT&T.

OK, so back to the 6800. Literally the only advantages for the Tilt compared to the 6800 is more RAM (which is a pretty big deal), the tilt-up screen, and an extra megapixel on the camera. The Mogul/6800 has a built-in GPS receiver, and Sprint has announced their plans to activate it with a new ROM released in "early 1st quarter 2008". I'm still crossing my fingers that Verizon will follow suit, since HTC is the one actually working on the ROM. Even if Verizon tries to play hardball, it's not like the GPS in the XV6800 won't be hacked shortly after Sprint's ROM is released and looked through by someone who knows what they're doing.

In all fairness right now i have to go with Verizon. Is the Tilt a nice phone?
    Yes very; and like the guy said in the post above the Tilt does have a slight edge. Not to mention the software bundle it comes with. All phones have built in GPS by law; its just flippin the switch. But I have to say what makes me feel good about Verizon is the network. Like I posted before; my roommate has at&t internet dsl having comprabrable dsl with cable the response time with AT&T sucks.
    If their PDA response time is anything like their home service. I like my net to pop...........
    Ok in all honesty here is where I can see a practical advantage to having the tilt screen.
    1 If u are using the GPS u can just sit it on our dash board.
    2 Here is a laugh for all; one night I was lonely needin love;
    well lets just say the tilt screen would have come in handy.
    I could have just tilted the screen set it down and looked at the pic
    instead of trying to prop up the phone. Sorry for the visual; we gotta
    keep it real.........................
    Someones chuckling I know

I couldn't see using the tilt screen for anything else sven for texting so there.
    The Tilt is a very nice phone; and for now I am extremely happy with my 6800
    Also no insurance man if u loose it; coming up with $500 out of pocket to replace it. Thats gotta suck big time.

If u are a serious geek; I say that with respect. If u see the soft commands
    please share maybe it will help everyone here tweak their stuff better since
    both phones are AT&T.
    Late
    Soba1

I meant since both phones are HTC's

Quote Originally Posted by soba1 View Post
    2 Here is a laugh for all; one night I was lonely needin love;
    well lets just say the tilt screen would have come in handy.
    I could have just tilted the screen set it down and looked at the pic
    instead of trying to prop up the phone. Sorry for the visual; we gotta
    keep it real.........................
    Someones chuckling I know
    Soba1
    Hmmm... Taking "matters" in your own HANDS?
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Uhh, nice responses. I appreciate the information... I think. But I never really intended to go the Tilt route. I am planning to stick with VZW because EVERYONE I know has VZW... So it's between the i760 and the XV6800. Both have their issues, but it looks like spec wise the XV6800 has the advantage. I just want to make sure Volume and all the other things I have read people mention here are fixable. I have to admit that one of the things I love loved with the i730 is MRailing and all the tweaks and hacks posted. I see that here, but there is a lot of, "this works with Sprint." And I want to make sure that I get the "Verizon Tweaks". Thanks for all the comparisons and the visuals... But if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding my questions in #204 it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Squid
    Somewhere in Afghanistan (in the cold)...

CHeck post 104 (I think) for the hacks.

Smile Happy to receive XV6800 today

Glad to see that there are references like this forum for info. My first impression after several months of testing and waiting is that it feels solid and lighter than my i730. Will take the full 30 days to evaluate but I think it will be fine considering my brother-in-law uses the Mogul. More to follow after a full day/full week worth of use. I will be traveling out to CA for business and will check out the coverage via airports and in Monteray.

This DEFINATELY adds new functionallity to the 6800!

I'm ready to take the plunge and upgrade my ROM to use GPS!
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Quote Originally Posted by ktbess View Post
    I jut got my 6800 and I really like it. I had to return the 760 as it was not compatible with Good (required for work). The only thing I don't like is the flashing green light. I've figured out how to turn off the other notifications but can't get rid of this. I'm sure it's shortening my battery life. Any ideas?
    This works for me:
    Attached Files

XV6800 Backup Software

Just got my 6800. Have been using the 6600 for years and finally upgraded. Can you believe I waited this long? Anyway, so far so good. Haven't had to soft reboot once so far while using the phone. Literally had to do that daily with the 6600. Does anyone have an opinion as to what Backup Software to buy and add on? Unless I'm not seeing it, WM6 doesn't have one built in does it?

Quote Originally Posted by itiswrit10 View Post
    Just got my 6800. Have been using the 6600 for years and finally upgraded. Can you believe I waited this long? Anyway, so far so good. Haven't had to soft reboot once so far while using the phone. Literally had to do that daily with the 6600. Does anyone have an opinion as to what Backup Software to buy and add on? Unless I'm not seeing it, WM6 doesn't have one built in does it?
    SPB and Sprite B/U both run on the 6800. Be aware that I could NOT get either to run scheduled backups. Others have reported success with them, but I never got them to do it.

RMD

I'm using Sprite Backup version 6.1.0, Build 2192, on my xv6800 and scheduled backups work just fine for me. Earlier versions of Sprite Version 6 were unstable and shamefully buggy upon release, but this build finally seems to be what we needed. Sprite's products usually are the best, but I'll never buy another "n.0" release from them again... I'll wait until the .1 or later.
    - Tim
    Current: Verizon XV 6800 (HTC Mogul)
    Former: Samsung / Verizon i730 (insanely great, albeit odd in a few ways), Ipaq 5555 (ok but not great), Toshiba e740 (terrible), Palm V (great, for its time), Palm III, various Sharp Wizards (amazing and ahead of their time!)