+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Fully Distracted

Sprint native Big Button Dialer and theme here

This dialer is native to Sprint Mogul phones and will give you "Big Button" dialing without breaking any phone functions like arrows, 911, etc.

This has been tested pretty extensively, and I thank everyone that took the time and the risk of installing and gave me excellent feedback. This has not been tested on Telus or any other Mogul phone, only Sprint. This dialer uses the blue and silver colors of the Touch device, including the Touch CommManager and Touch theme. I am attaching the Big Button theme here also, as it complements the dialer perfectly. This dialer can be skinned easily by all you skinners out there.

This can be removed via Add/Remove programs, so if you don't like it, just uninstall and you will be back to the stock dialer.

For the dialer, unzip, copy the .cab to your device using ActiveSync or whatever, run the .cab. For the theme, unzip, copy the .tsk to your "My Documents" folder on your device, go to settings/today and choose Big Button Theme.

Enjoy,
    -Paul

Update 1: The new voicemail button screwing up the skins is a new feature that Sprint added. To turn this feature off change this regkey.

HKCU\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction\CDMA
    EnableVoicemailIcon <-- set this to "0"

Reboot. Skins work again.

Update 2: Updates for Newer Sprint Roms with icon on button 1
    Big Button Dialer: I have update the skins to work with the new Sprint Icon on button 1 by hidding this new mail icon button. I have also hidden all the blended text on "Call History" and "Erase" button.

Touch Dialer: I have also created a "Touch" dialer that hides all of the numbers and text; it draws the dialer using background images. This seems to be the popular way of skinning now currently, so it should improve the compatibility with all of the current big button skin generators out there, just change the background. All text is hidden, except for the back arrow image and the call history image. I have a "Touch" background that paints the numbers on via the background. This version of the "Touch" does not include my company logo, so it is generic. (For those that installed the one with my company logo)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul_Hammons; 05-15-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    Spcs 6800 - Touch modifications

Very cool. I love the Touch themed dialer and if this doesn't sacrifice functionality or stability, it's a winner. Thanks for all your hard work!

The theme listed is the standard "gun metal" black theme from the HTC Touch, so it's nothing new there. Thanks for the updated dialer though.

--James

Thanks, Paul. Nice work!

Question: what's the blank space at the top for?

Thanks, so far it works great!

STRONG WORK!!!

It looks great paul.. Great Job!

Only question - What is the bar at the top of the screen for? Should something go there?

Otherwise.. Thanks for making touch screen dialing actually possible!

works nicely. Thanks.

Fully Distracted
    The space at the top is for the numbers to appear as you type them, if you have SmartDialing turned off. With SmartDialer on, it is not used, but with SmartDialer off, you must have this space to see what numbers you are typing.
    -Paul

Buy my house! Please! staticfiend's Avatar
    I love the finished work Paul! Thanks for the dialer!!

Thanks Paul. Great Work

Paul thanks so much!!!
    iPhone 3GS !!

very nice. thanks you so much paul

is the picture Id supposed to be in the blue box and so tiny though? can barely even see it...i thought last time i saw the touch dialer it was to the right of the box and bigger or maybe its just me?

also is it just me or is the grey in the theme very light. i have the htc touch theme and its a lot darker grey and works fine here too. just offers more contrast between the grey and white lettering

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hammons View Post
    Yeah, skins aren't too hard, after you decode all the reg keys and value ranges, which I will post most of them here.

-Paul
    Paul, great work! When you get a chance, can you post the reg keys and values to help with skinning?

Like your selection with the number color!

Fully Distracted
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    very nice. thanks you so much paul

is the picture Id supposed to be in the blue box and so tiny though? can barely even see it...i thought last time i saw the touch dialer it was to the right of the box and bigger or maybe its just me?

also is it just me or is the grey in the theme very light. i have the htc touch theme and its a lot darker grey and works fine here too. just offers more contrast between the grey and white lettering
    It is mostly your eyes playing tricks on ya. This skin is using the "Call History", "Back" buttons, and background picture directly from the Touch. The background is the same. The difference comes in the number buttons, on the Touch they were able to use graphics on the number buttons. Because they could do this, they eliminated the text on the number buttons, leaving only the numbers which were silver.

The Callid picture on the dial page is also the same size as Touch's. It is smaller than the standard stock sprint dialer. Sprint has a larger picture as there is more room to expand it. With the big buttons there is no place to put a larger picture.

The difference comes into the "In Call" page. Known in the registry as PROGRESS. This page is different on the Touch, as it can be skinned. Sprint completely removed the templates to skin these. It can only use the default layout. I think that I can add the templates into the dll and modify them the correct way, with the larger picture, but that would have added a month or two delay with no promises that it will work, so I saved that for a v2 later down the road.

I will be posting the reg keys and values needed to make modifications to skins like this, like making the numbers bright yellow, or whatever color you feel like, give me a few days to get my skinning cheat sheet cleaned up and add the latest keys and values that I discovered in the .dll. A couple of these keys I have not seen any skinner use, so I think they will like them too. The skinners already know how to reskin most of this, the unique thing I did was to modify the native Sprint dll to have big buttons. You cannot do that at the skin level, and I have met only one other person that knows how to make mods at this system dll level. I am not a skinner, I don't like making skins, I only did this skin so that it was acceptable enought to release the big buttons to the general population.

I also did another skin that includes my company's logo in it, very cool. The whole reason I did this was to add my company logo and get big buttons so I could see them when in the airport, rental car, whatever. I loved the skin that Touch used, it just broke these phones so badly, I had to make one that would actually function, in that process I had to make some tradeoffs between being compatible or looking exactly like Touch and I went the completely compatible route with a Touch Similar look.

Hope that helps.
    -Paul

Works very well and looks very good! Great job!

Anyone using this with SPB shell? I installed it, and now no dialer works. I am soft resetting again to see if that helps.

Beware when you call 911!!

Just this weekend I had to dial 911 from my cell phone and incase some of you don't already know, once you "dial" 911 whether you complete the call or hang up the phone, it becomes locked and you must reset it (not sure if the Soft reset works or if you have to remove the battery). You cannot dial any other numbers OR call 911 again!! This is a very bad feature seeing as I needed to dial it several more times and I didn't exactly have time to go through the reset process. Does anyone know how to disable this or is it automatic from Sprint/911? I am also told it tracks your location and there are several beeping sounds every few seconds after you end your call.

Administrator
    can someone be so kind as to post screenshots?

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it works fine now -- look great! Thanks a lot...

It's now my dialer. Great job and it looks great. Thanks much!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast