+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Moderate fix for low Volume issues

There is a AudioPara.Cab that is run when you Hard Reset your phone that is provided by Sprint in the extended ROM.

This replaces the audio level map called AudioPara.csv in your Windows Directory.

The HTC Factory map has the Volume Mapping set lower on the EarPiece than the one Sprint Provided. So if you skipped Extended ROM and didn’t run the AudioPara.cab you will get lower max volume.

Setting these levels is a trade off between, Clarity (i.e. distortion), Volume, Feedback, Range (you only have 6 level to work with), possibly speaker damage and is somewhat dependent on Network audio quality and level (which why sprint fine tunes it).

You can set the mapping for Vol 0, Vol 1, … Vol 5 (the 6 steps on the volume control). The Registry just sets which Vol 0, Vol 1, etc. It does not set the actual level it maps to in hardware. That is in AudioPara.csv

I have attached an AudioPara.csv. To install rename the one you have in your Windows directory to AudioPara.csv_orig (Note built in File Explorer does not show extensions). And copy the attached one over. Or edit your file to your own taste. Oh and remove the .Txt extension required for upload.

The Max Volume HTC provided (before Sprint Mod) was A0C2 (hex)
    Tha Max Volume Sprint provided (after Extended ROM config) was CA62 (hex)
    The Max Volume I set in the attached AudioPara.csv is FFFF (hex)

I also smoothly reduce it for Volumes Vol5, Vol4, Vol3 etc. so you can find the best tradeoff of loudness and clarity. Doing this gives up range (i.e. you can’t get the volume very low).

Ear Cup changes
    HTC --used A0C2, 71CF, 5092, 390A, 2861, 1C96
    Sprint used CA62, 8F47, 656E, 5092, 4000, 32D6
    I -----used FFFF, E000, C000, A000, 8000, 6000 (for coarse file (coarse control more range)).
    I -----used FFFF, F000, E000, D000, C000, B000 (for fine file (fine control less range)).

Speakerphone Changes
    Sprint/HTC used 5A67, 4000, 2D4E, 2013, 16B5, 1013
    I ---------used C000, A000, 8000, 6000, 4000, 2000

To change it see PHONE_EARCUPLE_VOL0, …VOL2, etc. around the 10th column in AudioPara.csv. You can load the file in excel directly for easier reading (but I edited in Notepad). I completely confirmed this does make a difference by trying very odd patterns like making VOL4 be near 0 and VOL3 go back up.

Use at your own risk of damage to the phone or to your ears. But to be honest it seems harmless and I do hear distortion but it doesn't feel like the earpiece is straining.

The difference it not huge but significant. You may find in noisy situations you’d put up with some distortion to be able to hear the other party. But in quiet environments you can turn it down and get clarity.

I titled it "Moderate fix" because there are limits to what the speaker(s) can do. But I think there is some room here to play with.

EDIT: I attached a second file with the even finer adjustments and less range. Think of this as changing your volume control to a Max Volume fine adjuster than a Volume control. This only effects earpiece during a call. You must rename to AudioPara.csv on your phone for either file.

EDIT2: I replaced first file with a more consistent step I made a small error in steps on the first one. I call this now the coarse file. I also included original HTC file (no sprint extended ROM applied) and the sprint one for completeness.

EDIT3: I added AudioPara.csv_fine_ear_extended_speaker.txt This is the same as AudioPara.csv_fine.txt but I extended the range of the speakerphone. Again use at your own risk. But it seems to hold together pretty good. And I did not push it to the full limit. Previous max speaker was 5A67, I raised it to C000. Note that PHONE_HANDSFREE_VOLx is what maps to speakerphone if you want to customize your own. No luck playing with bluetooth headset. My headset has 8 levels. I think most of it is in the headset and I can't find the master/reference volume passed to headset in this file. I played with PHONE_BTHEADSET and PHONE_HEADSET_VOLx.

EDIT4: Note on PHONE_EARCUPLE_VOLx (ear piece) I changed column 10. On PHONE_HANDSFREE_VOLx (speakerphone) I changed column 7. I did this because that's what was varying in the orginal files. Well it turns out multiple columns effect the volume. I think the different columns might be radio output level and speaker amp level. Sometimes they hold one fixed and vary the other. There is a LOT of range in this file/device. Playing with these combinations of numbers might get more clarity at the higher volumes. The combinations are endless. I think fine_with_extended_speaker is a good start but their is potential for even better results.

EDIT5: Seems most folks like the coarse ear adjustment (which is still finer than the original sprint one) so I uploaded AuduioPara.csv_coarse_ear_extended_speaker.txt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mswlogo; 08-04-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Cool find. I will have to play around with this over the weekend.

I know you are still testing, but so far what are you "optimal" settings.
    Bryan

"I'm not going anywhere NEAR that sabertooth snatch of yours." - Dr. Christian Troy

I just switched to super fine adjustment one I'll let you know. I mostly use the BT Headset and I want to play with that as well because I wish that was a tad bit louder too. I think this may have a single volume level and the headset itself amplifies it and adjusts it.

OK So I'm going to have to try this out now.

I downloaded the original file you posted. Am I correct in saying that you maxed out the volume for PHONE_HEADSET_XXXX, PHONE_HANDSFREE_XXXX, PHONE_EARCUPLE_XXXX, PHONE_BTHEADSET, PHONE_CARKIT, and PHONE_HEADSET_IMIC_XXXX

Are the Vol1, 2, etc the levels that you change when turning up or down the volume while in a call?
    Bryan

"I'm not going anywhere NEAR that sabertooth snatch of yours." - Dr. Christian Troy

Good stuff, I have the audiopara file floating around from another thread, but I'm going to give this a try.

One question, does this file control what volume level is set to after a soft reset? Whenever I soft reset my volume level goes to one notch under max, regardless of where it was set before I soft reset.

I only maxed it out on PHONE_EARCUPLE in both files attached.

And I also maxed out PHONE_HANDSFREE in the first file only I have not tested the effect of that yet so I didn't bother on the second file. PHONE_HANDFREE was already near MAX also.

I didn't want to max out the speaker phone (yet) because it's max was set very low and I find it tends to distort already at VOL5 and I didn't want to risk blowing the speaker. But I will probably play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpineDoc View Post
    Good stuff, I have the audiopara file floating around from another thread, but I'm going to give this a try.

One question, does this file control what volume level is set to after a soft reset? Whenever I soft reset my volume level goes to one notch under max, regardless of where it was set before I soft reset.
    It sets what Volume Levels MAP to on software reset.

I noticed volume level getting reset to one notch down on soft reboot too. This is probably settable in the registry. It might be in this file, I'm not sure. Lot of stuff in this file. But I noticed it didn't reset to one notch down every reboot.

But you can pick (map) your favorite volume for 1 notch down (VOL4) in this file.

I reuploaded first file with a minor correction and renamed it to coarse.

dcd
    this was my absolute biggest problem with the sprint mogul, and this fix just made the difference in my mogul working as a phone or not. the phone is so awesome i have to like it, but being unable to talk on the phone is almost a deal breaker. when you come up with a fix that is this useful you should leave an email address where people can paypal you a donation

dcd
    Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
    It sets what Volume Levels MAP to on software reset.

I noticed volume level getting reset to one notch down on soft reboot too. This is probably settable in the registry. It might be in this file, I'm not sure. Lot of stuff in this file. But I noticed it didn't reset to one notch down every reboot.

But you can pick (map) your favorite volume for 1 notch down (VOL4) in this file.
    this is changable in the registry - been a while since I found the key - but I beleive the value was "initialvol" or "initialincallvol" or "initialphonevol" or something similar, try to search for it. i no longer set the value because I use "WMA profiles" which allows me to set an in-call value for each sound profile.

Awesome. Kudos.

so which is better? coarse or fine?

Quote Originally Posted by freeza View Post
    so which is better? coarse or fine?
    Do you like Coke or Pepsi Try them both some will like one some will like the other, some will customize (like one low volume and 5 fine steps at the top). I like the fine one. I rarely use the lower volumes and I like having fine control over the top end.

Note that the fine is very fine steps. The whole range covers about 2 of the original size steps. Probably 1/2 step below the old max and one and a half steps above old max with fine control in between. Coarse is about 4 of the old steps shifted up volume and stretched to 6 steps.

I need to try in practice more in various settings.

By the way you can BLAST the speaker phone, more on that coming.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 08-03-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Great work, mswlogo! I prefer the course file myself.

Call me crazy but I can't get the phone to allow me to replace AudioPara.csv by way of the phones browser or explorer through ActiveSync.

I could not do it through active sync either. I copy to temp storage card space. disconnect active sync. The use total commander to copy to clip board and paste to windows directory.

Built in phone file explorer is really dumb and conservative. Total commander is free.

So between all the ones you posted, which one has absolutely the loudest high end on the earpiece? Or is it that they all are the absolute loudest, but the coarse has larger stepdowns with adjusting, and the fine has less of a stepdown with adjusting?

I'm starting to think I'm deaf from a partying lifestyle in my youth, and loud pipes on my bike now. I really like it blasted.

Your hack definitely made a nice little difference, thanks for finding this! Cant wait for you speakerphone hack.

The max volume on the earpiece is the same for all the files I edited (i.e. FFFF). It's how I handle ramping down from that max volume that's different between files.

See my EDIT4 though in opening post. Turns out there are other fields that are no where near max that also combine to set volume. Combinations are endless. You should try editing the file yourself. It's dead simple. Levels just vary from 0 to FFFF hex. 6 Levels exist.

It's easiest to view in Excel. But I edit in notepad because I want to avoid excel adding some junk to the file.

Speakerphone adjustment is up and difference on that is even larger.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 08-04-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Mswlogo thx a lot this really fix my problem!!! I have a question it's seem that now I cant not control the volume on the ear speaker is this normal? BT and speaker pjone are working fine..

Thanks!

Vertigo,

It is adjusting. If your using the "fine" one it's VERY small adjustments. Some people like the coarse one better (which is still finer than the original). You will hear a difference if you listen closely.

I'll upload a coarse one with the extended speakerphone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast