+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Love my Mogul

Love my Mogul

After about two weeks of fiddling, changing settings, finding a good BT headset (Jabra BT5010), changing settings some more, tweaking apps, installing new apps to replaced WMP, getting codecs, more tweaking, and finding a few things here and there, I'm finally content with the way my device works.

The iPhone asks users to spend a week learning its keyboard. WM phones ask you to spend a week customizing it, and then you can enjoy its constantly reliable keyboard (just to cite a comparison), and tremendous system versatility. I have made and read many posts trying to get everything optimized on this phone, and finally I think I'm at the point where my issues are resolved to where I'm happy to use it and stop tweaking.

For those of you new to WM, take your time. You'll find your happy place soon. Those of you upgrading from other WM platforms, play around, you'll get there. I, for one, am a happy camper. Finally.

Newly Converged
    I know this would probably be a pain, but would you be willing to share some or all of the tweaks/hacks/changes you implemented? I'd think others could benefit from it.

I'm enjoying mine, but I still have some work to do...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofMadness View Post
    I know this would probably be a pain, but would you be willing to share some or all of the tweaks/hacks/changes you implemented? I'd think others could benefit from it.

I'm enjoying mine, but I still have some work to do...
    I agree. Mine just came in today, and i would like to know what should be done once i get this thing going.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
    I agree. Mine just came in today, and i would like to know what should be done once i get this thing going.. lol
    Sure thing, I'll post back tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by APOLAUF View Post
    Sure thing, I'll post back tonight.
    Thanks! Nice update on the iphone keyboard thing. That is crazy for it to be that long in order to use that keyboard, i still think even after that you will be hitting two letters at one time trying to send a message on a softkeyboard.. lol

horrible.... lol

Received mine today as well. AWESOME device. I'm very happy with it thus far. I'm sure I'll be doing some tweaking over the next week or so I'd be interested in the tweaks.

With this phone, I decided I wanted to do the most I could without effecting changes via the registry. Infact, all changes are done to the registry, but UIs usually stand in the way to make the changes for you (otherwise most device setting functionality would be awful.)

After tweaking the crap out of my 6700 via reg. hacks, and seeing modest returns, I decided that there must be better ways to get around things.

First things first: Keep it simple. There are many shells, managers, and interface modifying applications out there. Most of them make your "Today" screen look like someone barfed icons all over it. These apps, in many cases, are buggy, poorly written, and have a large appetite for RAM. Often what I've found is that the benefits of these apps are entirely outweighed by the problems they've caused. I therefore don't install any.

Remove any unwanted Today apps. These are memory resident. I just have the basics: HTC's info app (contains links to battery info, etc), owner data, time/date tasks, messaging, device lock, and voicemail.

End your programs, don't just minimize them. Use the memory manager to close your apps. HTC X button is a small program that closes your apps instead of minimizing them and can help this situation. However, reliability concerns have been voiced. (See "Keep it Simple.") I perform memory management manually. You may want to let Messaging run though - this app takes forever to load when not resident, and only takes about 300-500K of RAM. You will see an advantage when you try it.

Clear IE's cache frequently. This mostly affects storage, but can affect IE startup time.

Use WMAs as ringtones, but keep them short and simple. I keep mine to 30 seconds or less.

Get TCPMP for your video playback needs. You're going to have to obtain the proper codecs for WMV playback (see the TCPMP Problem thread), and you may want AAC playback support if you choose to encode as such. You can find the codecs on rarewares, selecting the BetaPlayer AAC codecs. Set your display output to display from the raw framebuffer. You should get great speed with this. Your sound will be out of sync (almost guaranteed.) I chose an offset of -400ms in the Advanced setup properties to correct this. Encode your video files in H.264. The MSM7500 chipset has native support for this, and yields excellent playback speeds. I encode at 384kbit/s with AAC audio. (Of the 384 kbit, 64kbit are audio). 320x240 of course.

Keep your Messaging attachments on your storage card. This may not improve performance so much, but will expand the flexibility of your messaging application.

GPS: Create an outgoing COM port when you pair a bluetooth GPS receiver. Get a good one too. I'm using the Holux M1000. Fantastic receiver, incredible reception (I can track 8 satellites indoors without any nearby windows.) Then don't forget to configure your hardware COM port to match the outgoing to the GPS. Set your software COM port to whatever you like, I suggest staying at or above COM 4. You basically won't need any software setup after this.

Install your apps to built-in storage/Flash. All of them. Have them store data to your microSD card if you need to save on space (I recommend this for caching maps in Live Search.)

Set your backlight preferences to something reasonable. I have mine set to a 2-minute timeout. While the LEDs are very bright, you'll still get plenty of runtime.

Sync as much as you can via Exchange if you have it.

When it comes to sync vs push vs automatic sync, select what makes sense to you. I always check my e-mail, but I'd prefer to do it myself. Not allowing push e-mail, and doing a manual send/receive via ActiveSync or my POP/IMAP clients in Messaging saves a LOT of battery.

At night, if you have your phone nearby, you'll want to place a postcard, or some other object over your phone. The LEDs are VERY bright. They can be disabled via registry tweaks, but do so at your own risk. People are reporting that it curtails other functionality.

Install applications that will work. You get what you pay for with a lot of them. I pay for a subscription to The Weather Channel. This is by far the best weather application I have ever used. The RADAR maps are accurate, easily navigatable, and a large wealth of information is available to you. It's well worth the few $ per month. Every other app I've used has either triggered an instability, or has been too clunky to have on hand.

Don't like IE? Try Deepfish. Pages are rendered on a MS server, allowing you to zoom in and click, much like the iPhone. Only better.

Contrary to what the Apple commercials say, do use Mobile versions of pages. They are much easier to read. Just do it. Set your browser to "Fit to Screen" when possible, using "Desktop" if it won't render properly.

GMail: You'll need a separate JVM. There are links in another thread on GMail Java app. I mostly use POP3 for that purpose.

Bluetooth: Many BT headsets, I'm sure, worked just fine with your previous phone. This will not be the case with this phone. I have found that many BT 2.0-compliant headsets work great. Many of my old ones, trusty units, do not work well at all with my new phone. Goto your Best Buy, buy a bunch, and return the ones you don't want. You cna even return them all and then order one cheaper online. I have settled in on the Plantronics Discovery 665. It was between that and a Jabra 5010. The 665 has better noise reduction, though is still not as good as my trusty old Plantronics Voyager E510, which is no longer reliable with the 6800. Bluetooth is a pain in the ass, and it looks like that's not going to change any time soon.

Learn intimately what works best with your phone. Learn the tradeoffs of using one app versus another, of using one setting versus another. When you run into trouble, there are many posts here to help you out. I'll edit this with more info, as you can see, absolutely nothing earth-shattering here. Just a few tips to keep things running smoothly. Almost no registry work is neccessary - the phone works really well, if you're aware of its weaknesses, and especially, of its strengths - and it will serve you quite well if you intimately learn how to work with it.
    Last edited by APOLAUF; 07-02-2007 at 09:09 PM.

With this phone, I decided I wanted to do the most I could without effecting changes via the registry. Infact, all changes are done to the registry, but UIs usually stand in the way to make the changes for you (otherwise most device setting functionality would be awful.)

After tweaking the crap out of my 6700 via reg. hacks, and seeing modest returns, I decided that there must be better ways to get around things.

First things first: Keep it simple. There are many shells, managers, and interface modifying applications out there. Most of them make your "Today" screen look like someone barfed icons all over it. These apps, in many cases, are buggy, poorly written, and have a large appetite for RAM. Often what I've found is that the benefits of these apps are entirely outweighed by the problems they've caused. I therefore don't install any.

Remove any unwanted Today apps. These are memory resident. I just have the basics: HTC's info app (contains links to battery info, etc), owner data, time/date tasks, messaging, device lock, and voicemail.

End your programs, don't just minimize them. Use the memory manager to close your apps. HTC X button is a small program that closes your apps instead of minimizing them and can help this situation. However, reliability concerns have been voiced. (See "Keep it Simple.") I perform memory management manually. You may want to let Messaging run though - this app takes forever to load when not resident, and only takes about 300-500K of RAM. You will see an advantage when you try it.

Clear IE's cache frequently. This mostly affects storage, but can affect IE startup time.

Use WMAs as ringtones, but keep them short and simple. I keep mine to 30 seconds or less.

Get TCPMP for your video playback needs. You're going to have to obtain the proper codecs for WMV playback (see the TCPMP Problem thread), and you may want AAC playback support if you choose to encode as such. You can find the codecs on rarewares, selecting the BetaPlayer AAC codecs. Set your display output to display from the raw framebuffer. You should get great speed with this. Your sound will be out of sync (almost guaranteed.) I chose an offset of -400ms in the Advanced setup properties to correct this. Encode your video files in H.264. The MSM7500 chipset has native support for this, and yields excellent playback speeds. I encode at 384kbit/s with AAC audio. (Of the 384 kbit, 64kbit are audio). 320x240 of course.

Keep your Messaging attachments on your storage card. This may not improve performance so much, but will expand the flexibility of your messaging application.

GPS: Create an outgoing COM port when you pair a bluetooth GPS receiver. Get a good one too. I'm using the Holux M1000. Fantastic receiver, incredible reception (I can track 8 satellites indoors without any nearby windows.) Then don't forget to configure your hardware COM port to match the outgoing to the GPS. Set your software COM port to whatever you like, I suggest staying at or above COM 4. You basically won't need any software setup after this.

Install your apps to built-in storage/Flash. All of them. Have them store data to your microSD card if you need to save on space (I recommend this for caching maps in Live Search.)

Set your backlight preferences to something reasonable. I have mine set to a 2-minute timeout. While the LEDs are very bright, you'll still get plenty of runtime.

Sync as much as you can via Exchange if you have it.

When it comes to sync vs push vs automatic sync, select what makes sense to you. I always check my e-mail, but I'd prefer to do it myself. Not allowing push e-mail, and doing a manual send/receive via ActiveSync or my POP/IMAP clients in Messaging saves a LOT of battery.

At night, if you have your phone nearby, you'll want to place a postcard, or some other object over your phone. The LEDs are VERY bright. They can be disabled via registry tweaks, but do so at your own risk. People are reporting that it curtails other functionality.

Install applications that will work. You get what you pay for with a lot of them. I pay for a subscription to The Weather Channel. This is by far the best weather application I have ever used. The RADAR maps are accurate, easily navigatable, and a large wealth of information is available to you. It's well worth the few $ per month. Every other app I've used has either triggered an instability, or has been too clunky to have on hand.

Don't like IE? Try Deepfish. Pages are rendered on a MS server, allowing you to zoom in and click, much like the iPhone. Only better.

Contrary to what the Apple commercials say, do use Mobile versions of pages. They are much easier to read. Just do it. Set your browser to "Fit to Screen" when possible, using "Desktop" if it won't render properly.

GMail: You'll need a separate JVM. There are links in another thread on GMail Java app. I mostly use POP3 for that purpose.

Bluetooth: Many BT headsets, I'm sure, worked just fine with your previous phone. This will not be the case with this phone. I have found that many BT 2.0-compliant headsets work great. Many of my old ones, trusty units, do not work well at all with my new phone. Goto your Best Buy, buy a bunch, and return the ones you don't want. You cna even return them all and then order one cheaper online. I have settled in on the Plantronics Discovery 665. It was between that and a Jabra 5010. The 665 has better noise reduction, though is still not as good as my trusty old Plantronics Voyager E510, which is no longer reliable with the 6800. Bluetooth is a pain in the ass, and it looks like that's not going to change any time soon.

Learn intimately what works best with your phone. Learn the tradeoffs of using one app versus another, of using one setting versus another. When you run into trouble, there are many posts here to help you out. I'll edit this with more info, as you can see, absolutely nothing earth-shattering here. Just a few tips to keep things running smoothly. Almost no registry work is neccessary - the phone works really well, if you're aware of its weaknesses, and especially, of its strengths - and it will serve you quite well if you intimately learn how to work with it.
    Awesome... Thanks!

WOW--what a great review! Thanks for all your guidance. I believe I am now getting this phone based on your and Convergent's thorough review! Thank you!
    "I think, therefor I am"
    -Rene Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Sincerus View Post
    WOW--what a great review! Thanks for all your guidance. I believe I am now getting this phone based on your and Convergent's thorough review! Thank you!
    Glad I could be of help. The 6800 is a majorly needed update to the 6700, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nervous upgrading from 6700 to Mogul

First, thanks for this extremely thoughtful review and generous advice. I would consider myself only an advanced amateur in comparison to the professional level at which you present your recommendations. While I would like to implement the suggestions you have made, in a number of cases it would still prove difficult for me to do do so--is there more of a step-by-step set of directions available for the less elementary suggestions you've made?

Second, I purchased the 6700 from a Sprint store a couple of months ago with the explicitly written agreement that they would allow me to trade this in for the 6800 when it finally was released. In the interim period, I have accrued experience with the 6700 and must say that I really love it. I use it to listen to foreign radio programs streams that I play through my car radio when I drive, and the Sprint EVDO speeds support this marvelously--even without Rev A. Also, I discovered something surprising: We periodically travel to a region in New York State's Adirondacks that has difficult reception--Verizon dominates there. But Sprint now roams reasonably well on Verizon there, and strong reception phones will do just fine. The 6700 works beautifully there--I can hear and be heard just fine. Unfortunately, a number of other Sprint phones don't do as well there. Some Samsungs and Sanyos sound a little choppy--no BT here, simply using the basic phone. So, my big concern: Will the Mogul be as good as the 6700 in these areas, or will it be as bad as some other supposedly "good" Sprint phones? The only way I can test this personally is to trade in my current 6700 for the Mogul, and take the Mogul into the field. But if it fails the test, I really doubt that Sprint would then let me re-exchange the Mogul back for the 6700. Any knowledgable advice from the community on this issue would be very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by tarbok View Post
    First, thanks for this extremely thoughtful review and generous advice. I would consider myself only an advanced amateur in comparison to the professional level at which you present your recommendations. While I would like to implement the suggestions you have made, in a number of cases it would still prove difficult for me to do do so--is there more of a step-by-step set of directions available for the less elementary suggestions you've made?

Second, I purchased the 6700 from a Sprint store a couple of months ago with the explicitly written agreement that they would allow me to trade this in for the 6800 when it finally was released. In the interim period, I have accrued experience with the 6700 and must say that I really love it. I use it to listen to foreign radio programs streams that I play through my car radio when I drive, and the Sprint EVDO speeds support this marvelously--even without Rev A. Also, I discovered something surprising: We periodically travel to a region in New York State's Adirondacks that has difficult reception--Verizon dominates there. But Sprint now roams reasonably well on Verizon there, and strong reception phones will do just fine. The 6700 works beautifully there--I can hear and be heard just fine. Unfortunately, a number of other Sprint phones don't do as well there. Some Samsungs and Sanyos sound a little choppy--no BT here, simply using the basic phone. So, my big concern: Will the Mogul be as good as the 6700 in these areas, or will it be as bad as some other supposedly "good" Sprint phones? The only way I can test this personally is to trade in my current 6700 for the Mogul, and take the Mogul into the field. But if it fails the test, I really doubt that Sprint would then let me re-exchange the Mogul back for the 6700. Any knowledgable advice from the community on this issue would be very much appreciated!
    Sure, I'll try to post something later this evening regarding some of the playback apps, etc.

As for the 6800's reception, it will actually do better than the 6700. When using the Field Test utility, (##debug#), I can see better reception on the 6800 than I got on the 6700. I can make calls in areas where the 6700 would drop out. As far as the trade/upgrade, I'm almost positive that they'll still have some sort of 30-day satisfaction guarantee (all buyers get this, as far as I can tell), so if it fails to meet your expectations, you can simply request a return kit, and they should send you back a 6700. Honestly though, this has proven, at least for me, to be a very worthwhile upgrade, so I wouldn't really think of going back to the 6700. I'll try to post some more relevant and updated info on setting it up to your needs later on this evening or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbok View Post
    ...is there more of a step-by-step set of directions available for the less elementary suggestions you've made?...
    Here we go, I'll try to make this simple, though please keep in mind this is what has worked for me, it may not work for you. (some want different functionality, so please find what works best for you, I'm not trying to tell you what's best. ). Much of this information can be found in nearby threads, but I'll try to be succinct. If I've been unclear on something, please let me know. I'll address the points by number (though they aren't present on the original post), if you need any others explained, just ask me and I'll update this.

2. Unwanted Today apps: Most people are familiar with this, but just incase, goto Settings, Today, and Items. I'd remove any LiveSearch functions, and Sprint-based software plugins, as these just take up memory and are accessible by other means. Infact, I don't let any of my non-standard (i.e. not Messaging, Tasks, etc.) apps run in "Today" because they're just as easy to start.

4. IE Cache. Within IE, goto Tools, Options, and under Memory, click "Delete Files." Many of you are aware of this, (I'm not trying to patronize anyone here, please understand) so this is just for those who aren't familiar.

5. WMA ringtones work well. The best is to encode them in say, 48kbit/s mono. This is equivalent in quality (but not in spatial depth) to 96kbit/s in stereo, which is far more than enough to satisfy the needs of a ringtone. I'm a fan of higher bitrates, but keeping them small helps. Use an audio normalizer in your sound editor to normalize the volume to 100% so that you can take full advantage of the speaker's volume during your ringtone. Store all ringtones in \Windows\Rings

6. Get TCPMP (Google it, and download/install version 0.72 RC1 - newer versions exist, but 0.72 works just fine.) Then, get the AAC playback codec, available here: RareWares
    be sure to select the WM version of the "Betaplayer" codec. Install the cab and you're in business for AAC-based content.
    Under Options, Settings, Advanced, change the "Manual A/V Offset +/-" to -400 msec or so. This should help with the audio being out of sync.

7. Messaging: under Options, Storage, select "When available, use this storage card to store attachments."

8. Pair your BT GPS as usual. Then, goto COM Ports, and select a new outgoing port. Select your GPS device (hopefully, when you paired it, you selected "Serial Port" functionality), and select say, COM 2. Then goto "External GPS" in the control panel, select your GPS port (COM 2 if you followed above) under "Hardware" and then pick another port, say COM 4 under "Software".

11. Exchange - set this up in ActiveSync, though it'll require you to have access to an MS Exchange server.

12. In ActiveSync, goto Menu, Schedule. Change the values to whatever is most convenient to you. I have mine all set to manual, since I prefer to do those operations at my own discretion. This saves battery life. The same should be done for your non-Exchange e-mail accounts.

15. Sign up for the MS Deepfish trial. You might want to google it.

17. There is a thread in the forum called "GMail Java app..." that I created, and someone was kind enough to post a reply suggesting a JVM that does work well with GMail. Install this and use it to run the GMail app. I myself use POP3 to access GMail, so I don't have to worry about this.

18. This is a messy subject, and may still need some fixing in the form of ROM updates. All I can suggest is that if your callers are having trouble hearing you, speak up and you might not have issues with sounding like you're cutting out. This is, however, extremely variable.

Hopefully this post answers some questions that you may have had, let me know if you have others. For those of you that found this post obvious, I hope I didn't waste your time too much.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Great post... good to see you are happy with it now.

After a few weeks on the Mogul, I likewise, am very happy with it. I have taken a slightly different approach which I'll get around to documenting at some point, but for now I'll jump on this thread and post what I did...

I have decided to avoid tweaks and hacks as much as possible and stick with off the shelf applications... with a few exceptions.

For my Today screen, I'm running several of the Spb Software applications... Mobile Shell, Phone Suite, Pocket Plus, Diary, and Time . Together, these give me the "do everything" Today screen that I want, and serve to be my mission control point. I'm using parts of each of them.

Mobile Shell, to me, is a "must have" application. It gives you a totally "finger driven" interface to WM that is awesome. I use the Mobile Shell tabs as my main Today screen interface. I've abandoned the Now Screen from it and just use a very tailored Today screen instead. My tabs are the main navigation tab, weather, Phone Suite, Lock device, and one for Pocket Player (described later).

From the Phone Suite Tab, I can change the profile for the phone and/or turn on/off any of the Connections types... Bluetooth, Phone, WiFi, etc... as well as make calls by quick dialing a picture of a person.

Next down on my Today screen I have the Spb Time plugin which gives me the big clock, date, and next alarm.

Finally, I have Diary on there which lets me see my upcoming appointments and a lot more. This one you have to be careful with as using ALL of it can use of RAM.

Next, Pocket Player is a fantastic replacement for WMP and does a good job for MP3s, internet radio, and videos. I'm also running Slingplayer to watch my Tivo recorded home programs.

For browsing, IE is usable, but limited. The program that was recommended here is Deepfish, but it is an authenticated beta that is closed... so it is pretty much impossible to run it at this point if you weren't in the original beta. The Picsel browser that comes on Samsung Pocket PC devices is awesome and lets you zoom in and out with onscreen gestures, similar to the iPhone. I have hope that there will be a good solution here in the near future. It is definitely doable based on the examples of Picsel and Deepfish.

That gets you the basic stack of applications. For Bluetooth, I've tried the Jabra BT8010 and it has been excellent... also tried the Motorola S9 which worked great, but it didn't fit me well.

I am also using it for GPS and have tested iGuidance and Telnav... both are excellent and seem to have a few very minor quirks, but otherwise work well.

The only thing I don't like about the Mogul is its limited RAM. But, to get all the rest of the stuff, I'll put up with it... I just need to not run too much at the same time.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Technology Addict

First things first: Keep it simple.
    WOW. Very nice post!! Very cool of you to take the time to post all of this info. People like you really enrich this forum!

-boom