+ Reply to Thread
    PDAPhone Virgin

Active Sync draining battery

After I updated to the latest rom I noticed that active sync seems to be randomly opening. I go in and manually close it but by the end of day its back on again without me syncing to my computer.

I thought I recall someone having a similar problem several months ago but my searches have been in vain. Can someone tell me how to make my phone stop syncing unless I connect to the computer?

Administrator
    Async's PROCESS may run on your phoine but its not syncing anything. if you want to stop the running process of Async, just go in to the task manager (if your on the new rom or just go to running programs if your not) and stop it. Async running on its own should not kill your battery...

but i could be mis reading your statement... what do you mean that ASync "randomly opens"?

smu
    Converged in a divergent world smu's Avatar
    I know exactly what he means...it randomly shows up in the task manager as being an open program that you can close.
    By the way, do the old registry tweaks that improved battery life on previous versions still apply to this one? I didn't know if anyone had tried them; I haven't bothered to look them up again, but I have noticed a slightly shorter battery life.

PDAPhone Virgin
    Quote Originally Posted by smu View Post
    ...it randomly shows up in the task manager as being an open program that you can close.
    bingo...... I would think with it open it would be occasionally looking for a sync connection thus draining the battery.... no?

Went to bed last night with a full charge and this morning I had 80% on the battery and Async was still closed. About an hour ago my phone was at 20% without any use and no syncing. Looked in the task manager and Async was open.

It very well could be something else draining the battery. The only way for me to know would be to stop the Async from randomly being open in my task manager. Anyone have a guess as to why its opening?

My guess is this opens up because the phone has not been synced with any PC yet. But I really doubt it uses up battery. Even if you close it, the phone will still autosync leading me to believe it is always running in the background.

No guess as to why it's opening randomly. I have a sporadic problem as described. Sometime I'll go a couple of weeks without it appearing on it's own and then it'll happen for a day or two or more. I have noticed that it occurs more frequently within the first few days of a soft reset. I only soft rest now when I start having other little problems like caps lock on texting regardless of entering with the keypad or using he on screen interface. So about every couple of weeks or so.

I have no hacks though I'd like to get the volume and battery one done at some point. Perhaps the discussion of the memory leak is related in some fashion as well. I haven't tried to do the Sync thing since my desktop died and the replacement laptop has isa on it instead of XP. Can't figure out how to get Vista to Sync my calendar, but that's is on another thread.

I'm keeping mine on a wall charger whenever it isn't in my pocket regardless of charge capacity. Seems to keep me charged, but a little on the inconvenient side to always sem to have to do this.
    "Actually, it's a buck and a quarter quarter staff.......but I'm not telling HIM that."

I got Activsync to stop by unchecking the box for automatic time updates with the network. Now I will do maybe a monthly time sync with the network and that is it.

settings>personal>phone>services>time synchronization

Quote Originally Posted by meatgel View Post
    I got Activsync to stop by unchecking the box for automatic time updates with the network. Now I will do maybe a monthly time sync with the network and that is it.

settings>personal>phone>services>time synchronization
    That kinda sucks since I depend on my phone for my Alarm. I used to not have time sync with my Treo and once in a while it went out of sync and time was way off. I think the main thing is to determine if the active sync is actually draining battery. If it doesn't, there's no point really closing it. It doesn't even take up much memory either.