+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Über-converged

I have written another screenlock program

I wrote another screenlock program that invokes the builtin today screen lock plugin. It does not require you to have the plugin enabled. I have been using the DeviceLock program by a member here. I decided to write my own because I did not like the way it worked. It worked, like others, by using the notification manager to respond to a wakeup notification. I find the notification manager to be unreliable however. Sometimes it will lock quickly, while sometimes it takes a few seconds, sometimes it would lock then, as soon as I disabled it, lock again. Sometimes it didnt lock at all. The app that I have written is a 4kb executable that is always running in the background and locks when it recieves the device suspend message. Works reliably and quickly every time. It also has a preference panel app that runs in .NET CF2. The app has an option to put a shortcut to the lock program in the startup folder. It will also provide a means to manually launch and terminate the lock program. It is NOT a finished product however. It currently does not detect whether or not the lock is already running and cannot terminate OnLock.exe. Becareful not to initiate multiple instances of OnLock.exe. It will not cause problems, but it is a waste of resources (not that it is at all heavy on resources). The easiest way currently to see if OnLock.exe is already running is to turn the device off then on and see if it locks. In the future, I also want OnLock to shut the screen off and lock when you press and hold the power button, for use when you are listening to mp3s ect. Also, OnLock.exe currently gives an alert when it starts. This will be removed or optional in the future.

If you do not want to install .NET CF2, you do not have to. The prefs app is not necessary. You will simply have to place a shortcut to OnLock.exe in the startup folder manually. If you do want to use the prefs app, cab must be installed to the device (only 17kb).

Enjoy!

*edit* New version on page 2. Get it here.
    Last edited by JKingGrim; 10-24-2006 at 08:44 PM.
    Palm IIIe > Palm IIIxe > Zire71 + Samsung a660 > PPC-6700 > Sprint PPC-6800 Mogul
    Help make your wireless company fair

Thanks JKingGrim, i'll give it a try! (am currently relying on MortSaver)

Works like a champ!...

My biggest gripe with the other auto lockers is when I would unlock the device it would lock again! It was a pain in the ass..

Thank you very much!

Hmmm. I am using a sprint 6700 and I get an error message when I try to activate it- "Unexpected error has occured in ........" I installed to Extended Rom... could that be it?

I installed mine to the main mem..

Über-converged
    Yes, if you want to use the prefs app, it must be installed to main memory. The reason is because it is expecting OnLock.exe to be in the "\Program Files\OnLock\" directory when it wants to launch it or create a shortcut to it. For now, install it to main memory, or if you want to keep it in extended ROM launch OnLock.exe manually. If you want it to automatically start on reset, put a shortcut to OnLock.exe in the startup folder.
    Palm IIIe > Palm IIIxe > Zire71 + Samsung a660 > PPC-6700 > Sprint PPC-6800 Mogul

Wow, very nice! 10 out of 10 so far.

This is probably a WM5 limitation, but it'd be nice if the screen updated (indicating the lock status) before the first wake-up event rather than immediately afterward, but that'd just make this an 11 out of 10...

Been running it since yesterday and works like a charm so far Looking forward to future releases!
    Bryan

"I'm not going anywhere NEAR that sabertooth snatch of yours." - Dr. Christian Troy

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for.. If it could change the HOLD power button behavior so that it turns the screen off and on instead of the back light that would incredibly more useful and save more power.

I'll hold off installing this until you fix those multi instance issues, as I am not in the mood to test those types of problems.

I get an Error_Timeout when waking.... Any ideas why?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv5
    Do you have it installed in Main mem?
    Bryan

"I'm not going anywhere NEAR that sabertooth snatch of yours." - Dr. Christian Troy

Quote Originally Posted by MadlyAlive
    Do you have it installed in Main mem?
    Yes sir. I uninstalled and will reinstall and do a soft reset.....

I know he mentioned that it does not have to run with .net CF 2 installed, but if you don't have that installed, maybe you can try that?
    Bryan

I reinstalled and rebooted and everything seems alright now..... I'm assuming this thing is so it does not power on when you get a notification.

Über-converged
    Quote Originally Posted by haus
    Wow, very nice! 10 out of 10 so far.

This is probably a WM5 limitation, but it'd be nice if the screen updated (indicating the lock status) before the first wake-up event rather than immediately afterward, but that'd just make this an 11 out of 10...
    Yes this is a WM limmitation. From the time that the power button is pressed to the time the device shuts off, there are not enough processor cycles to actually do anything. OnLock.exe is notified of the poweroff before, however, so as soon as the device comes back to life it locks.

When you got this error, did it not lock at all?

Almost done with the next version that will have a fully functional prefs app. The press and hold of the power button is proving a bit more difficult to figure out, but I'm still trying. Thanks for all the feedback!

Is there any way to lock the phone so only an incoming call wakes it up and that WM5 events or notification only wake up that part of the device (and does not wake up the phone protion) and then to fully wake up the WM5 part of the device, one has to press another specific key. In other words is there a way to get the device lock to work like a Treo 650?

Quote Originally Posted by JKingGrim
    Yes this is a WM limmitation. From the time that the power button is pressed to the time the device shuts off, there are not enough processor cycles to actually do anything. OnLock.exe is notified of the poweroff before, however, so as soon as the device comes back to life it locks.

When you got this error, did it not lock at all?

Almost done with the next version that will have a fully functional prefs app. The press and hold of the power button is proving a bit more difficult to figure out, but I'm still trying. Thanks for all the feedback!
    Doesn't seem likes it's working at all. Text messages are waking the phone, and I'm assuming that's not supposed to happen. I have the program running, as I created a shortcut in startup and I get the onlock.exe is running message on startup.

jv

it doesn't prevent the device from waking up ... it just locks the unit when it wakes up.

The point of the software is to keep you from accidently pressing the screen or a button if the phone happens to wake up (call, sms, reminder ...) when you have it, for example, in your pocket without a case.

Screenshots

Could someone please posts some screen shots of this program? I am interested, but would like to see something before I download.

Thanks!

I do not have the .NET CF 2.0 installed so I cannot see the prefs panel.

As for the main app there is nothing to see. It just gives a message that the software is starting and that is it.

Just download it and try it. It is tiny. Uninstall it if you don't like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast