+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Verizon XV6700 Extended ROM CAB File Breakdown

I've read a lot of useful information while browsing these forums, but I have yet to contribute anything. Well, spent some time doing a break down of what each of the CAB files in the Extended ROM for Verizon's XV6700 does. I haven't found anything in the forums that go into the XV6700's file too much.

Hope ya find this information useful.
    • VZWProvision_Signed.sa.CAB
      • Installs root certificate authority information
    • Signed_MMS3.0.6.22_Apache_VZW_26Sep05.CAB
      • Installs MMS Services
    • Customize_105201.sa.CAB
      • Hides WModem application file (but leaves it in Programs)
      • Enables Verizon tech dialing codes as follows (What each does is covered in another thread):
        Code:
        Code		Command
        ----		------------------
        ##778		EPST.exe ##778
        ##7764726		EPST.exe ##7764726
        ##374		EPST.exe ##374
        ##775		EPST.exe ##775
        #4357		EPST.exe #4357
        ##33284		FieldTrial.exe
        ##3328873		EPST.exe ##3328873
        ##3424		DMRouter.exe
      • Installs some Verizon HTML help files
      • Installs Downloads shortcut into Start Menu
      • Registry Changes:
        • Sets default phone preferences (Voicemail number, location settings, etc.)
        • Disables WAPPush
        • Adds "Downloads" link to favorites
        • Changes the following phone services:
          • Configures Verizon TTY settings
          • Disables Call Forwarding user settings
          • Disables Call Waiting user settings
          • Disables SMS user settings
          • Disables BC SMS user settings
          • Configures Verizon location settings
        • Enables acknowledgement of SMS messages
        • Records time-stamp for SMS message receipt
        • Enables HTC Camera
        • Disables simultaneous phone + 802.11 operations (mutex flag)
      • Replaces IE default home page with Verizon's version
      • Moves Windows Media shortcut to Start Menu
      • Installs Verizon's EPST settings
      • Installs additional Verizon Certificates
      • Creates/Configures "Verizon Wireless" network connection
    • Enable_RingTone.sa.CAB
      • Enables ringtone plugin player for PocketIE (not quite sure on this)
    • Region.sa.CAB
      • Sets up time zone information
      • Customizes regional Windows settings
    • VZWProvision.PPC400_2577MTM.CAB
      • Installs Verizon's Wireless Sync application
    • Remove.sa.CAB
      • Removes Uninstall entries for Extended ROM applications
    • Link.sa.CAB
      • Links IE softkey to IE application

Cheers

Nice work. Thanks. Looks like maybe that wireless sync app can be deleted (for me), but not much else.

I see dumb people...
    Nice work. Thanks for taking the time.

would you mind detailing what the following mean:

# Disables Call Forwarding user settings
    # Disables Call Waiting user settings
    # Disables SMS user settings
    # Disables BC SMS user settings

I saw these registry entries the other day and considered messing with them, but I wasn't home to back up my files in case i broke something. Just wondering what settings might be unlocked by enabling them. Anything useful?
    Last edited by crankerchick; 04-14-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crankerchick
    Nice work. Thanks for taking the time.

would you mind detailing what the following mean:

# Disables Call Forwarding user settings
    # Disables Call Waiting user settings
    # Disables SMS user settings
    # Disables BC SMS user settings

I saw these registry entries the other day and considered messing with them, but I wasn't hope to back up my files in case i broke something. Just wondering what settings might be unlocked by enabling them. Anything useful?
    In the phone dialer app, when you click on Menu > Options... > Services tab.

The items listed are what that references.
    Unaltered that list includes Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, SMS, BC SMS. With those items exposed you're able to change certain values to your personal taste. Like totally disabling Call Waiting if you wanted. Or setting up your Call Fowarding w/o having to dial Verizon's special numbers. etc.

I see dumb people...
    thats actually kind of what i figured, although I wasn't sure where some of the unlocked options would appear (Services tab, versus elsewhere). thanks for clarifying something that was actually pretty self explanatory. some folks would definitely have had a smart ass reply.

thanks, going to explore now.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rich
    In the phone dialer app, when you click on Menu > Options... > Services tab.

The items listed are what that references.
    Unaltered that list includes Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, SMS, BC SMS. With those items exposed you're able to change certain values to your personal taste. Like totally disabling Call Waiting if you wanted. Or setting up your Call Fowarding w/o having to dial Verizon's special numbers. etc.
    None of this is listed under my services tab. Mine has only location setting, Voice Privacy, Network Service, TTY Mode, Time Sync, and alert. Why would mine be different?

I see dumb people...
    You don't see them because Verizon has hidden them. The different cab files in the extended ROM that Big_Rich has decomposed for us, customizes these options and then hide them. Thats why you don't see them.
    Last edited by crankerchick; 04-14-2006 at 02:52 PM.

You don't see them because Verizon has hidden them. The different cab files in the extended ROM the Big_Rich has decomposed for us, customizes these options and then hide them. Thats why you don't see them.
    What is Verizon hiding from us by not showing these options. Why would I benefit from having access to these?

also, Big Rich Says "unaltered" that lists includes..., so I thought that meant "from the factory"

I see dumb people...
    After editting the registry to enabling these services, I looked at what I could customize. The only useful one I found was being able to set up call forwarding. The SMS service only allowed me to change the SMS callback number, which i believe is configurable elsewhere as well. The BC SMS service only has an option to and enable/disable BC SMS. Similarly, the Call Waiting service only allows for enabling/disabling call waiting notification. I chose to go back to hiding them all except for call forwarding. If you didn't miss these options when you didn't know they were hidden, chances are you probably don't need to enable them now that you know can be made visible.

sorry my question hijacked your thread Big_Rich.
    Last edited by crankerchick; 04-14-2006 at 02:59 PM.

I see dumb people...
    also, Big Rich Says "unaltered" that lists includes..., so I thought that meant "from the factory"
    it does mean from the factory. When your phone is hard reset, it goes back to factory settings, and then immediately upon loading the first time, the cabs in the ext ROM (given above) run and install software or edit/hide settings as Big_Rich outlined. HTC makes this phone, different carriers choose to sell it, and they make customizations to the interface according to how they see fit. In this case, the customizations Verizon has made are the ones listed above by Big_Rich.
    Last edited by crankerchick; 04-14-2006 at 03:00 PM.

After editting the registry to enabling these services, I looked at what I could customize. The only useful one I found was being able to set up call forwarding. The SMS service only allowed me to change the SMS callback number, which i believe is configurable elsewhere as well. The BC SMS service only has an option to and enable/disable BC SMS. Similarly, the Call Waiting service only allows for enabling/disabling call waiting notification. I chose to go back to hiding them all except for call forwarding. If you didn't miss these options when you didn't know they were hidden, chances are you probably don't need to enable them now that you know can be made visible.

sorry my question hijacked your thread Big_Rich.
    What were registry edits. I would like manually control call forwarding. Thanks

Anyone who updated with the new update have a similiar list of what's in the Extended ROM and what cabs may not be necessary?

I have the new list, but I don't know what all the new files do. Many of the PP items look like small specific fixes for things:

3,733,131 Apache_VZW_MMS3.0.6.24_20060124.CAB
    106,384 AutoRun.exe
    1,152 Config.txt
    126,919 Customize_105201.sa.CAB
    72,141 Enable_RingTone.sa.CAB
    106,239 getMMSCtxMenuInfo.CAB
    49,581 Link.sa.CAB
    374,198 PP_AddRingTone_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
    49,233 PP_AreaCode_Apache_203700.sa.CAB
    49,211 PP_DataRetry_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
    50,035 PP_Downlaod_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
    49,220 PP_MSFP_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
    49,140 PP_Nolog_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
    49,166 PP_SMSACK_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
    49,202 PP_Version_Apache_207200.sa.CAB
    99,096 PT_BT_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
    49,301 PT_HideModeOfOperation_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
    58,631 PT_PhoneSettingHelpFile_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
    49,229 PT_WiFiAndRadio_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
    74,561 Region.sa.CAB
    79,015 Remove.sa.CAB
    5,496 TPDisable.exe
    5,496 TPEnable.exe
    77,878 Verizon_Logo2.bmp
    265,347 VZWProvision.PPC400_2577MTM.CAB
    78,723 VZWProvision_Signed.sa.CAB

Thumbs up

By any chance has anyone saved a dump file with ALL of the Verizon cabs from the EXtended ROM (with the New Updated ROM)? I have done something to my Extended ROM and it shows there is only 800KB Of space left but will only let me see about 6 files. I need to reformat it and reload the cab files if anyone has them? This forum is the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by bdaved
    By any chance has anyone saved a dump file with ALL of the Verizon cabs from the EXtended ROM (with the New Updated ROM)? I have done something to my Extended ROM and it shows there is only 800KB Of space left but will only let me see about 6 files. I need to reformat it and reload the cab files if anyone has them? This forum is the Best!
    I've got ya covered bdaved, check your PM's
    GeekyGuy
    "The Daytona 500 is ours! We won it, we won it, we won it!", Dale Earnhardt, February 15th, 1998, Daytona 500

MY results while trying to customize my phone.

I did a soft reset while the 3 second message was showing. Use Total Commander to get to the Extended_Rom. I would launch the .CABs but some of them would not make all the changes they were supposed to. Looking inside the .CABs I saw the .XML files that listed the changes they were supposed to make. I used the customize.cab as the benchmark. Just launching the .CAB would not set the EPST codes.

So, I unlocked the extended rom partition, modified the config.txt and deleted the .CABs I didn't want. (I copied all my .CABs to my PC first). I hard reset the phone and let the auto custimize run. Many of the initial .CABs seemed to run through real fast as if they weren't there. Anyway, one of them was the Customize_105201.sa.CAB. It sill didn't make the changes to the HKLM/Service/PhoneExt/KeyProgram that it was supposed to. On top of that, now all the .CABs were deleted from the extended rom. Can it be re-locked?

The third attempt I did was, Hard reset, interupt the execution of the customization (3 second warning screen). Copied over my modified Config.txt and all the .CABs I wanted installed. Moved them to the extended rom. Ran Autorun.exe. This popped up the 3 second screen then ran through the Config.txt and soft reset the phone. Now, all the exptected customizations appear to be where they are supposed to be.

This doesn't seem to make sence. If the settings from the XML don't get set unless run run from the AutoRun, why didn't it work when I let it run during after the Hard reset. If it has nothing to do with the AutoRun, why didn't it work when just running the .CAB individually?

Anyone have any insite?

anyone figured out what all the files on the extended rom do (with the new update that is)? I want to install them, but I dont want all the VZW limitation crap!

Any help?

I just let them all install and haven't run across any limitations so far. I suppose some of the stuff in the phone options is hidden but it's not important to me. Wifi and phone are both working simultaneously without any hacks as well.

I installed This new rom, and the directory is locked from copying files from or to it, how do I make the exeteded Rom writeable?

-Jason
    Verizon XV6700 Rom 2.5.1