+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MPX-220 MP3 problem when playing from mini-SD card

When I play an MP3 file off my mini-SD card it pauses every 10-20 seconds or so and the screen says buffering. I dont get this problem when I play MP3's from the phone's internal memory. Another forum suggested converting the songs to WMA format, but I dont know how to do this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

possibly a bad card. i have 400 mb of mp3 on my 512 card and i have no problems with the mp3s

also make sure all other apps are closed when playing mp3s. if too many apps are open it can slow down the unit and cause the "skipping"

It happens with no other apps open (i.e. if I run it immediately after start up).

I did try converting the MP3 files to WMA and it seems to have solved the skipping problem. I'm not sure what would be more of a pain, to return the SD card or to convert all my MP3 files.

If anyone else is having this problem, you can use Nero 6 to convert the files. There is a free trial of it from Nero's website. It takes about a minute or so per song to convert as I havent figured out if you can convert a bunch of songs at once.

Very strange, but when I installed Nero, it changed to become the default music player on my desktop. I accidentally copied some MP3 files to my phone without converting them to WMA files and I'm not getting anymore skipping on those files. I wonder if the problem is when WMP on my desktop is the default music player and then those files are transferred (since I have WMP 10 on my desktop but only WMP 9 on the phone)? I'm not smart enough to know, but it seems to work now.

jmco1, what brand of SD card are you using? Mine is skipping alot too.

Thank God, I thought it was just me! I have a SanDisk MiniSD and notice the same thing on occaison, but not always.

i have a toshiba 512 mini sd. i would use the phone as an mp3 player while in the gym for about an hour and a half strait, three times a week and i have not once expierenced what you guys are describing.

however i did just retun my phone because of the volume issue. i just couldnt deal with the low volume.

if there is a fix created i will definitely buy the phone again

Well, it figures. I shut down my phone last night, and when I turned it on this morning, the songs that I didnt convert went right back to buffering again. I guess that I'll have to go back and convert the rest of the songs to WMA format.

I'm using an ATP 512 mini SD card.

I too have a Sandisk card and it skips sometimes. Not always but sometimes, very intermittent. Media player says "buffering" for 1-2 seconds and the music pauses, then it goes to back to normal. Maybe the Toshiba cards are better?

I have the same symptom with a Sandisk 256M miniSD card. I think the culprit is Microsoft. The reason is, I downloaded PocketMusic (the trial version) at: http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusicsp.htm
    and it plays my MP3s flawlessly.

Anyone know when WMP10 will be available for us?

Just curious what bit rate are the MP3's you play? Mine are all 128k. Maybe try a lower quality?

dchester-

I thought the same thing but was using pocketmusic on a 2 hour drive last night and the same thing happened. I'm starting to suspect a memory leak.

I have had that same problem playing mp3s with WMP and now have installed BetaPlayer. It has played very well. No buffering so far. It even has an equalizer and a pre-amp which works pretty well. Video plays a lot smoother also.

Oh yeah! It's free!

Where can I get a copy of Betaplayer?

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

There is a stable and an unstable (newer) version. I have the unstable version and it work very good with my mpx 220. Read the forums that are linked from the website for trouble shooting.
    Last edited by RabanJr; 11-09-2004 at 05:14 PM.

Smile fixed problem (get updated phone)

I bought the MPx220 in October when it first came out (full of bugs) and had MP3 skipping problems from the miniSD card but not from internal memory. I bought a Toshiba 512 MB card from http://www.flashmemorystore.com but sent it back because I figured the card was slow. They sent me a newer model that supports 10 Mbps peak transfer rates (for $10 more) but my songs still went to "buffering" all the time.

I finally returned the phone yesterday to get the "fixed" version (1.30) at Best Buy and now my MP3's play fine!

Same experience here -- now that I have 1.3 I have zero problems with MP3's skipping

True but the volume problem is back, at least for me. When I moved from .330 to .342 the volume was better but now with 1.30 the volume sucks.

ARRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

Same here. I have 1.30 and have no problems with mp3's at all. I have a ScanDisk card. Volume sucks though. I may return the phone just because of that. Otherwise, this is the best phone ever. A lot of fun.

I think I may have figured out what the problem was with my SanDisk card; I formatted it as FAT32; apparently though it is 'supported' it is recommended to format as FAT for the SP.