+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flight Mode????

Flight Mode????

Does the Q have a flight mode? I know you can turn the phone off, I am looking for a flight mode is supposed to be listed when I hold down the home icon. It does not show for me. I need it for a program that I am trying to connect with.

Thanks!!!

Friend Of i730s
    I just looked and I didn't see any flight mode listed when i pushed done the home key. I'm using VZW Q. Essentially all flight mode does is turn of the phone radio. What program are you trying to use?

NuLL

Missing Synch, it is a program that lets you synch a PPC/smart phone with a mac.

Friend Of i730s
    I just looked at the manual and VZW site they both say hold down the home key and it will be listed under there but it's not. Did you do the first ROM update? Maybe they didn't include it for some reason. The program wont work if you just turn off the phone radio?

Friend Of i730s
    I was just looking at missing sync the only thing that could be preventing you from connecting I'm guessing through bluetooth is the data connection. Place a call which will turn off the data connection if it is connected. You'll need to make sure no programs are running that access the data connection as well like ones that would get your e-mail. Then turn off the phone radio and it should work through bluetooth or the usb.

I never did any ROM updates, I just received it last week, so I am using whatever it came with.

The program does not work if I just turn the phone off. I am going to try the other method you suggested. I will report back here to let you know.

Thanks so much!

Friend Of i730s
    No problem. Just wondering are you using the black q?

I just tried the way you suggested and it did not work

I did not get the black q, I have the silver one.

Friend Of i730s
    Which way are you trying to connect through bluetooth or USB?

Friend Of i730s
    To establish USB connectivity with some models it is also necessary to download and install a third party handheld USB Switch application. Download this application by going to:

palmsolo: Geeking for Jesus » Blog Archive » Sync your Windows Mobile 5.0 device via USB on your Mac

After installing the application to your device, open the USB Switch application and select the Serial button.

For more information on the USB Switch application, refer to:

Mark/Space, Inc. - Support

For more information on The Missing Sync and the i-mate PDA-N, visit:

Mark/Space, Inc. - Support

From the support page at markspace. You might try this. They say you don't need it with the Q but maybe it will take care of the problem.

Thanks again for posting such great info! I am going to go through it all and see if any of it will work. Will post back with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by mediamike View Post
    Does the Q have a flight mode? I know you can turn the phone off, I am looking for a flight mode is supposed to be listed when I hold down the home icon. It does not show for me. I need it for a program that I am trying to connect with.

Thanks!!!
    After the last update it is no longer listed as Flight Mode. If you press and hold the Home key, the option is now Wireless Manager. You can turn the phone off there, putting it in Flight Mode.

Had me confused for a bit with the change.

Update

I tried everything that was suggested and contacted tech support and they just responded yesterday, and one of their suggestions was to turn off my mac os firewall. That did it, it now synchs!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Friend Of i730s
    LOL Well Don't i feel stupid. I figured since it was a mac there wouldn't be any firewall connection manger crap interfering. That would have been the first thing i'd say if was a Windows OS!! That great you finally got it done. I can't believe it was that and i didn't mention it.

You know the most common question people would call in and ask tech support in the early nineties? "Where's the any key?"

I'm not finding Airplane Mode on the Silver Q, but what you need to do is hold down the HOME key and select Wireless Manager, then turn the PHONE off (and the Bluetooth for that matter). When I did that, I receive an X in the upper right corner of the screen.

To test, I tried to perform a Sync and a notice "The Phone is currently turned off. Would you like to turn the phone on?"

Apparently, the turning the PHONE setting OFF turns off the Radio, thereby enabling Airplane Mode. (?)
    Last edited by nashville-it; 02-27-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: correction