+ Reply to Thread

What are my options for Email/Task/Calendar/Contacts?

Coming from Windows mobile, I always used Office for my calendar/tasks/contacts.

Now That I have a droid, I notice that it's all done through google. I've exported my contacts from Outlook to gmail. My question is, is there an ideal solution for inputting calendar / task items on my pc, having them sync with the droid? Or is everything going to have to be entered via web now?

Hi, Bodean,

I'm in the same boat as you. One thing you can do is download some software (I'm on my laptop now, so I can't tell you the name for sure) I think its called CompanionLink and its not free, and that will sync Outlook to Google and then of course Google syncs to your phone.

I wish there was an Office suite for Android, but right now there isn't.

There are certainly some major shortcomings in my opinion with the PIM functions built in to Android 2.0, but I'm hoping some apps come out that will improve the experience.

Let me know what you think.

Yea the saying the web is the new OS is really starting to hit home. Gmail so far has worked best for me. I tried a couple different setup’s syncing to pop3 and imap, but in the end I went with forwarding to a gmail account, and masking the send and reply addresses of the gmail account. This leaves gmail as the contact/task manager for the Droid. But gives you push to email instead of timed sync intervals. Better multi-vendor support is definitely needed.

anyone see this:

Sync Gmail Contacts and Google Calendar with Outlook | knokio

looks like you can just get a free open source plug in for outlook contacts to sync up to googles cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    anyone see this:

Sync Gmail Contacts and Google Calendar with Outlook | knokio

looks like you can just get a free open source plug in for outlook contacts to sync up to googles cloud.
    This is the best free solution I have found, BUT, if you send or receive appointments created with either the Microsoft Livemeeting or OCS plugins, or Cisco Meetingplace plugins, they will not sync.

CompanionLink does sync them, but is $40.

Alan

I am making (what should NOT be) a painful transition from my Palm Treo to the Motorola DROID phone.
    I have installed this program to try to SYNC my Outlook CONTACTS... it took about 15 minutes to run a SYNC with 1500 contacts.... My old Palm Treo running Microsoft Hotsync took about 12 seconds! An alternative I found was a program called "iContact" which can be used like Outlook Contacts and automatically keeps itself in sync with Gmail Contacts which keeps in Sync with Droid phone automatically. I only use OUTLOOK for CONTACTS, so this has become an acceptable workaround.
    Now if I can just find a replacement for my eWALLET that will SYNC itself with the DROID. Help??

Ps: link to that iContact is here:
    iContact by DataLoad 0.5. IContact allows you to have access to your GMail address book from your desktop.. Download and information on DataLoad.
    Last edited by DroidCliff; 11-13-2009 at 02:08 AM.

android is all about throwing away the sync cable for your pc- that's just the way it's built.

Too bad that google sync doesn't work with the latest Office 2010 beta =(
    I too would like an ewallet substitute, as I use it on my pc, and need something to sync to the phone.

keepass manually synced via mesh works fine for a free ewallet.

How is this working for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by alanb View Post
    This is the best free solution I have found, BUT, if you send or receive appointments created with either the Microsoft Livemeeting or OCS plugins, or Cisco Meetingplace plugins, they will not sync.

CompanionLink does sync them, but is $40.

Alan
    So the best free solution is having to run two programs in order to sync contacts and calendar between Outlook and Google?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

New Mexico (yes that's in the USA & the water is drinkable)
    I have 2 exchange accounts setup on my Droid ... 2 Gmail accounts and one live email account ...

The exchange accounts are a little trickier and since I am the Nerd Herder at our company I can have the exchange server tweaked to suit my needs ... as such Contacts & calendars can be synced. you may have to tweak some settings on your exchange server ...

Once I got emails sync'ing the next challenge was attachments .. by clearing the "accept all certificates" I started getting attachments.

I'm seeing in the forums (all around) that TOUCHDOWN is the sync tool you want .. I'll try it and get back to us later ...

I miss my phonealarm profiles ... and the ability to silence single accounts or profiles based on calendar event status (set to meeting profile if calendar=busy)

I think things will shake out fairly quickly for we exchange users ...
    Favorite DNRC's inDUHvidual's quotes

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Touchdown works great, but there is a beta version right now that has some fixes for this version. I recomend it. As for phonealarm, try Locale, it may be the app for you. I like it, set profiles by location, or by contact, or other stuff. It's pretty cool in that it works with your GPS.