+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sync With Outlook

Hello,

Does anyone know if the Droid will be able to sync with Microsoft Outlook? I need to be able to sync my calendar, tasks, and contacts from my desktop and Microsoft Outlook to the Droid.

If I can do that -- and get the Today Screen stuff -- this is the best phone out there (for me, anyway.)

I've looked, but can't find much. Thanks!

I too am curious about this... Heck, I'd even use VZ wireless sync if I had to... Anything to get me out of WM!

Dave

Thanks.

The issue I am afriad of w/ that is that I have sync everything w/ a Google Account and then to the Droid. I don't necessarily like the idea of sycing w/ a 3rd party application/account as well.

Palm used to be able to sync directly w/ Outlook... I don't see why Android shouldn't be able to as well.

probably can't because its made by google and they want to get you off microsoft and onto their own apps?

heads up- never mind hosted exchange- looks like you can get googleapps premier for just 50 bucks a user and it will behave similarly to exchange in that you can sync your outlook to google. It says "all feilds" but I dont have first hand knowledge.

but i think that would be your best bet- getting yourself to some sort of wireless sync option is soo much better then wired sync to outlook.

I agree completely. Thanks for the information.

I hate to pay an extra $50 for something that I can pretty much do already with a Windows Mobile device, but the Droid is one darn nice phone with all of its options.

So, I can sync Outlook to Google, which will then sync to the Droid?

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    I agree completely. Thanks for the information.

I hate to pay an extra $50 for something that I can pretty much do already with a Windows Mobile device, but the Droid is one darn nice phone with all of its options.

So, I can sync Outlook to Google, which will then sync to the Droid?
    There is one issue with Google Outlook Sync that has gone unresolved for over a year. If you send or receive meeting invites from Microsoft Office Communications Server or Microsoft Livemeeting, google can't read the message class and doesn't sync those appointments to the calendar. All other appointment types, and contacts seem to work just fine.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanb View Post
    There is one issue with Google Outlook Sync that has gone unresolved for over a year. If you send or receive meeting invites from Microsoft Office Communications Server or Microsoft Livemeeting, google can't read the message class and doesn't sync those appointments to the calendar. All other appointment types, and contacts seem to work just fine.

Alan
    curious- if you weren't on an exchange server (as the OP)- do meeting invites work anyway?

Does anyone know if I can sync the Droid with Outlook via a USB (Using MS Activesync)? I know this sounds like an archaic request, but my company won't allow exchange syncing or installation of any 3rd party software.

Basically, I'm trying to determine if I can sync the device with my computer out of the box using the existing Activesync software.

I dont think there's anything like that with android os.

what do you want to get from outlook? google has various tools to get some parts of your info onto googles servers that MIGHT work for certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    curious- if you weren't on an exchange server (as the OP)- do meeting invites work anyway?
    Yes, but not as well. You can't see others free/busy time without an exchange server, but you can send and receive invites to Pop or IMAP accounts, and when they are accepted they'll populate the calendar.

I imagine if you don't have exchange, the Livemeeting/OCS issues won't be a problem with Google Sync (You can't have OCS without Exchange, I suppose you could have a hosted Livemeeting account, but I don't know if the problem even exists with those invites or if it is specific to the OCS plugin).

Alan

I dont think there's anything like that with android os.

what do you want to get from outlook? google has various tools to get some parts of your info onto googles servers that MIGHT work for certain things.
    What I want is calendar, contacts, tasks.

How will all of that sync? Will it be wireless or will I have to force it?

check the google sync tools- I think they have something that can sync contacts calendars and tasks from outlook to google's cloud. BUT I'm no expert and dont even use it myself but check the google website.

once it's in googles cloud then it wirelessly syncs to the phone.

(also if you dont have exchange then you could just bail on outlook and use google entirely.)

check the google sync tools- I think they have something that can sync contacts calendars and tasks from outlook to google's cloud. BUT I'm no expert and dont even use it myself but check the google website.

once it's in googles cloud then it wirelessly syncs to the phone.

(also if you dont have exchange then you could just bail on outlook and use google entirely.)
    Yes, Google synch will do this with the one exception I have noted earlier in the thread. You can also use Outlook as your interface to Google mail (set it up as IMAP for the most "exchange like" performance) and then you'll truly have a synchronized experience. Desktop/web/phone.

Alan

The above link to Wired though is very consistent with VZW's current data plans for both Blackberry and Windows Mobile Devices.

I think that the burning question here is, despite the 'requirement', can VZW enforce this?

Today with Blackberries, because they talk to a different server for Exchange e-mail vs. others, VZW can turn on and off that capability when you change your plan.

With Windows Mobile, they do not have that control. So Exchange e-mail synch still works on the lesser $30 plan, even though VZW says no.

So will Exchange synch work even on the $30 plan, even though VZW tells you the extra plan is necessary?

techgeek32

Outlook sync with Droid!

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    What I want is calendar, contacts, tasks.

How will all of that sync? Will it be wireless or will I have to force it?
    The Sprint Hero and Verizon Eris can use HTC Sync which is their activesync software created for Android. I use it with my Sprint Hero and it works just like Activesync for Windows Mobile. It only allows Contacts and Calender syncing as of right now. I don't know if it will work with the Droid or not. I don't have a Droid or I would test it. Just do a Google search for HTC Sync and choose the US version of the software. Couldn't hurt to try it. Other than that there are no other direct Outlook syncing products. As a previous poster put it "Google wants endusers to start utilizing Gmail and Google Apps" so I don't think they will ever add this functionality. There are some limitations with Contact notes quantity as well that is a Google issue. I love Android as long as I can sync Outlook. When I can't I will move on to another OS.

Techgeek,

That's where I am at, currently. I have manged to get all of my contacts and calendar items, along with tasks (which I rarely use) thanks to the trial of CompanionLink.

I am very frustrated by a couple of things, such as the way my contacts are showing up (first name first, for example) and if I can't come to appreciate these changes from WM or figure out a workaround, I may be taking this phone back, despite liking it.

I really wish there would be an application that is essentially Outlook or some other type of PIM functions that is in-depth like Outlook is.

After all, this is the primary function of a PDA Phone for me, the PIM functions along w/ the, you know, phone aspect.

I am trying to decide between the Droid and the HTC Touch 2 Pro. The Droid looks really cool but I need Outlook for Calendar, Contacts and most importantly Notes. What about Documents to go by Dataviz. Would that allow you to sync between the Droid and Outlook?