+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By riley2323
  • 1 Post By riley2323

Thread: 3G Tips, Tricks and Reminders

3G Tips, Tricks and Reminders

Gathered these up across the web....do not credit me for the tips, only for taking time to compile them and cut out some of the garbage. I thought I knew my 3G iPhone pretty well, but I was surprised at how many of these tips had escaped me.

1. Screenshot- Hold Home button & press top/sleep button. Screen will flash & picture saves to Camera Roll.

2. Save pictures in email & on the web - hold your finger on the picture & it will ask you if you want to save it. Also saves to your Camera Roll.

3. When typing a web address, hold the ".com" key down & you will also get .net, .edu, .org to choose from.

4. In Settings, Under Mail, Contact, Calendars, you can now import SIM contacts...

5. Some AppStore programs hide their settings in the iPhone Settings menu. It took me awhile to figure out how to change AIM's Username/Password, until I found the AIM Settings hiding there... So far I've also seen Shazam's & Save Benji's settings there as well...

6. If you have 2 iPhones (you and your wife or girlfriend or whatever) - register them both using the same iTunes account & you can use the same Apps on both iPhones. Example - I paid for Monkeyball & downloaded it on my iPhone & then my wife DL'd it & installed it on hers for free. I think you can put them on up to 5 devices under the same account.

7. One new "feature" is the momentary appearance og letters in the password field when you log on to something/someplace. I like the fact I know can see what letter I typed - I am a fumbler when it comes to thumb typing on this thing.

8. When listening to iPod on an iPhone, if you switch to another iPhone app, DOUBLE-tapping the home button will bring a popup window allowing you to chapter-back or -forward, as well as Pause.

9. A quick little tip, if you touch the home screen to the right of the small circles that indicate which page you're on, you'll go to the next page, and if you touch to the left you'll go to the left page. This is just a quicker way to switch which doesn't require scrolling to the next page. Also, if you begin to scroll to the next page and then press beside the indicator circles, it will freeze the homescreen allowing you to see both pages, and the buttons are still interactive.

10. Application Tip: when playing games like super monkey ball, or bomberman, or any other app, and you don't want to end the game, but you dont want to leave it on to kill ur battery? just press the sleep button. Once you slide back in, the screen will be on your app. -=D and you won't lose the last level or IM you were on.

11. This may be a little silly (and there is an app for it) but if you park your car somewhere, drop a pin on it in google maps, then go do whatever you are doing and you can always find your car by GPSing it back to the pin. useful in stadium parking, malls, etc.

12. The auto correct for the dictionary will never change well to we'll. In order to do this type welll, and then it will auto correct to we'll.

13. I never knew the Camera trick. The pictures are much much better than before.

a. Press and hold the shutter button
    b. Compose the shot
    c. Release the button

14. On the keyboard just double tap on the uppercase button and you are in caps lock. The real tip is to turn it on. Not sure about everyone else but the option was off for me.

15. 1Password app automatically logs you in by the user creating usernames and passwords as bookmacks/passcards. Works like Roboform and it is free.
    superwoman likes this.

how exactly do you store your iTunes password to not pop up when you are downloading a new App?

Thanks riley for compiling these into a thread. I have stickied it for others to get to quickly!
    John

JMT
    Thanks Riley, I've seen most of those in action and wished it was compliled into a nice format like that. I appreciate you taking the time.

BTW, most, if not all of that is software 2.0 specific and not limited to the 3G phone. A 2G phone with 2.0 software does that.

Since you mentioned it, does anyone know the GPS works when it loses the signal, such as in a parking garage. Does it use the accelerometers, or revert to cell tower signals, or what?

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I found this one on my own.

If you want to delete an individual email, just press the arrow to the right of the email and slide your finger to the left. A delete button appears and you can delete that individual email.

I was trying to figure out how I could mark an e-mail as unread and had pretty much given up the hope that it could be done until I found out how by accident. When an e-mail is open, look near the sender's name. You'll see to the right the word "Details"; tap on it and suddenly next to the subject line will be "Mark as Unread." Weird place to put that command, IMHO.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Skipping Back-Up

Skipping Back-Up:

When it says backing up at the top of iTunes, you will notice a little x at the end of the line on the right side. Click the x and it skips the back up and moves on to the sync operation. This is a great time saver!

Disable Back-Up???

Disable iTunes backup in Windows

I found a few solutions:

Turn off iPhone backups in Windows iTunes « onlydarksets

When the iPhone syncs, iTunes will often perform a backup that is excruciatingly slow. Mac users have an “easy” (i.e., available to anyone) way to prevent iTunes from doing backups. A less publicized version of the same method exists for Windows:
    1. Quit iTunes.
    2. Press Win+R (opens the Windows Run dialog)
    3. Type or copy the following command: “%CommonProgramFiles%\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\defaults.exe” write com.apple.iTunes AutomaticDeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true
    4. Open iTunes.
    5. Connect the iPhone.
    6. Make Sync without backing up.
    Alternatively, if you don’t want to use the command line, a company I have never heard of has released an application called “iPhone Backup Switch“. As the name implies, it simply turns off or on iTunes’ iPhone backup process.

If neither of those work, there is also a method that involves editing the iTunesPref.xml file.

To get rid of the annoying Pop-Up window in Windows XP and Vista, when you first plug in your iPhone!

- with the iphone plugged in, right click on start, select explore
    - find apple iphone, right click and select properties
    - click on the events tab, under action make sure "take no action" is selected
    Last edited by riley2323; 09-27-2008 at 05:00 AM.
    superwoman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by riley2323 View Post
    To get rid of the annoying Pop-Up window in Windows XP and Vista, when you first plug in your iPhone!

- right click on start, select explore
    - find apple iphone, right click and select properties
    - click on the events tab, under action make sure "take no action" is selected
    Thanks for the tip! However, your method didn't work for me (no "events" tab). I had to go to Control Panel | Autoplay, and that did the trick. Great tip, though!

To back up/archive a jailbreak app, see this post by onlydarksets.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I learned this at the Apple Store yesterday while waiting for them to replace my defective iPhone 3G...

When typing, if you want to insert a special character (i.e., fiance is supposed to have a special character "e" at the end), hold down the "e" and several special charater "e" will appear.

There are special chararacters for the following:

A, C, E, I, L, N, O, S, U, Z
    iPhone 3G, 16GB, Black
    iPhone 3G, 16GB, White