Poll: Have you jailbroken your iPhone? (select all that apply)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Not Jailbroken ... yet

I wrote all the PIM programs I needed for; first mini-computers and then when the PC came out I did it for that platform as well, followed on to the Sharp Wizard, the Palm as soon as it came out, WM when it first came out and finally converged WM as soon as it came out. Hacked is a pretty mild word for what I've done to all my devices.
    So why not jailbreak .. I'm tired. I'm all hacked out .. 35 years of thinking on the bit level has worn me down. I suspect there are a number of us old geeks who have just sort of, uh, deviced retired.
    But .. you never know - next week I might get a second hacking wind and then be an insufferable jailbreak evangelist .
    Regards,
    Kurt

Maybe I should have mentioned why I jailbroke. The orignial question was did you jailbreak and how much experience do you have hacking pdaphones. It seems to have become a discussion on how useful apps from various sources are to people. So in that vain...

Jailbroken software I use in no particular order -

-I love skinning. - Winterboard is a great app for customizing the look of your iphone. Personally I like blueprint, Killsigncarbonred and vivid.
    iPhone theme: Blueprint by ~sometoast on deviantART
    http://iphone.sleepers.net/onepackag...ncarbonred&db=
    http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/wp-...9/vivid102.png

-PDANet - Since you can't officially tether you have to jailbreak to get this software so you can use your phone as an access point for your computer.

-Intelliborn Intelliscreen - I missed my today screen from WM. Apple is adding features like repeat alarm so it may not be long but without jailbreak, you cannot write programs for the lockscreen.
    Intelliborn™ - IntelliScreen™ - Your iPhone UnLock Screen on Steroids

-Categories - Scrolling through 9 pages of apps was taking forever. Now Categories is nice as you can put your springboard apps into folders. Unfortunately its slow to load folders but I only have 2 pages to scroll now.
    Review: Categories (Organize Your SpringBoard)

-Cycorder - why this phone doesn't have video recording by default is beyond me.
    Cycorder | Installer Apps | 3rd Party iPhone Application

-5 icon dock (Telesphoreo tweaks)

-Air Sharing has negated some stuff. Air Sharing is available in the App Store now. Its $6.99. I can do it for free but it took a lot more setup. Docs from cydia, plus openssh plus fish:// gets me there for free but for the majority of people its best to pay the $6.99. Both midnight commander and konqueror support fish.
    Linux Online - Lesson: Goin' Fishin'
    Andlinux is how I use konqeror on windows
    andLinux.org -- Run Linux natively inside Windows

-ssh to your phone + terminal. This is probably useless to most users but I like manipulating my phone from commandline.

-iBlacklist - If this worked it would be freakin awesome but it crashes on my current system. Filters unwanted calls.
    iBlacklist for iPhone

-Dock - Yet another way to get to apps
    Dock - Ported to Firmware 2.0 | Apple iPhone School

-NES, PS and GBA emulators;macman(pacman clone with tilt gameplay); quake4iphone- I'm a sucker for old games.

-copernicIN - some kind of cut and paste.

-Orb currently not ported to 2.x software but I jailbroke the phone before I realized that this wasn't ported. It was one of the reasons that I decided to jailbreak.

-mxtube - download movies from youtube for watching offline.

Something I installed has destabilized my system but it could have been an appstore app but it is more likely its a cydia/jailbreak app. That is the downside. I am out of the sandbox and down the rabbit hole.

For me it was worth it, but as the debate has raged - YMMV when it comes to programs. Also I try to keep up with programs but really can't. For example, Air Sharing, there may be Appstore versions of what I have mentioned and I am just not aware of it.

I also have plenty of appstore apps but I didn't mention them here because you can buy/try read about it in the appstore and you don't have to do anything special to get them. So in summary - I've found plenty of useful apps from both camps.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    I am now officialy JBed!

Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Converged and Redeemed
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
    Maybe I should have mentioned why I jailbroke. The orignial question was did you jailbreak and how much experience do you have hacking pdaphones. It seems to have become a discussion on how useful apps from various sources are to people. So in that vain... <snip>
    I couldn't agree more with your post, and how you have shared it in an intelligible way. Thank you.

Anyone can choose to jailbreak or not to jailbreak. IvanLasston has told the "why to" jailbreak very well. If you don't jailbreak, the iPhone is still a wonderful piece of equipment. You just don't get to enjoy many of the great things it can do. Jailbreaking allows the iPhone to better live up to its potential.
    Pastor Tim Satryan
    Communicating the Good News!
    Visit my website - WILMINGTON first assembly of God

OK, so I folded like a cheap suit and JB'd today. Can I change my vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    OK, so I folded like a cheap suit and JB'd today. Can I change my vote ?
    Ha! If I knew of a way for you to change your vote, I would tell you how to do it. : -)
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I LOVE Quickgold and Intellisync. Simply AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
    Maybe I should have mentioned why I jailbroke. The orignial question was did you jailbreak and how much experience do you have hacking pdaphones. It seems to have become a discussion on how useful apps from various sources are to people. So in that vain...
    IvanLasston listed some great reasons. Here is why I jailbroke:

Also, some apps I use:
    • Five Icon Dock - Adds 5th app to the dock
    • AT&T Carrier Logo - replaces the AT&T logo with the globe and “at&t”
    • StatusNotifer - show email/call notification icons in the tray bar
    • Winterboard - install custom icons, wallpapers, etc.
    • OpenSSH - full access to the file system via a SSH or SFTP client
    • MobileTerminal - full access to the file system from the iPhone
    • Backgrounder - Run any application in the background
    • PDANet - Tether to a laptop
    • QuickGold - Use an application launcher
    • Cycorder - Use the built-in camera for video recording
    • One-stop preference setting (BossPrefs)
    • Video game system emulator (NES)
    • Offline Google Reader (GRIS)
    • Download files directly to folders via MobileTerminal (curl or wget)

Well I'm a Jailbird now on my 3G and I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago. I love Intelliscreen, it's pretty darn great, and the Themes are a lot more fun, especially the Video ones than I thought they would be!!
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I tried Intelliscreen, but, surprisingly, I didn't care for it. Most importantly, it doesn't respect the PIN code lock screen. If my phone is password protected, then nothing should get displayed until I enter the code. Did I miss a setting?

ah you are correct, I have only been using it w/ out the pin code thus far...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Well guys, I finally conquered my fear and jailbroke last night. I could not be happier. Dont know how I did without Intelliscreen for so long. Since I am new at this, I need your help.

1. Does everything backup in itunes like when it wasnt JB'en?
    2. When the next update comes out (2.2), what do I need to do?
    3. What is installer?
    4. I downloaded winterboard, but I really want like 3D icons, but Winterboard does not come with icons? I am looking at this right?

I apologize if this is not the forum for these questions.
    Thanks in advance.

JMT
    1. Yes and No. Everything that backed up before will still back up. So music, podcasts, contacts. AooStore apps, etc. will still be backed up. The bad news is that ALL of your Cydia imports are a crap shoot. More than likely they will not back up. More often than not, their data of high scores, notes, and configuration will not back up.

2. Remain calm. When the new updates come out for iTunes or iPhone, DO NOT install them. It can take hours or weeks before the dev team figures out a jailbreak program. Even after it is jailbroken, it is best to read your favorite jailbreaking resource for at least a week and see what problems other are having and what the solutions are.

3. Installer was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Think of it as a useless icon and put it on the last page of however many pages you have. It once worked much like Cydia does today, providing us with the JB goodies. It lost it's legs when the iPhone went to 2.0.

4. Look in Cydia for "Themes". This is where you will find icons for Winterboard. Some are wallpaper, some are wallpaper and icons and battery and lockscreen and sliders, and every combination of the above.

The Dev team claims they already have 2.2 jailbroke, but don't expect this to happen every time.
    Rob
    Droid-ed and iPhoned!

do you know any thing about the MPx300 by Motorola???? I have one that will be here next week. still brand new in the box. but has no manual??? I got it as i needed all the features of wifi and smart phone to. I do know they discontinued the model. And it is under warranty from the buyer. can you help me on it or someone it the form??? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by angelbabies4u View Post
    do you know any thing about the MPx300 by Motorola???? I have one that will be here next week. still brand new in the box. but has no manual??? I got it as i needed all the features of wifi and smart phone to. I do know they discontinued the model. And it is under warranty from the buyer. can you help me on it or someone it the form??? thank you
    Huh?????????

@ onlydarksets what theme do you have on you iphone. That is nice.

Themes are the only hacking that i kind of shy away from. Pretty stock kind of guy.

I have just recently down loaded winter board on my 2.0 and summer board on my 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. Looking to do some cool things.

Thanks
    Some one call IA. I'm an iPhoneaholic.

JMT, thanks so much your information is very helpful. So this means that once the new apple update is release I will have to
    1. Install the apple update.
    2. JB my phone with the new JB update.
    3. Reinstall all my JB software?

Did I get this right?

JMT
    Maybe, maybe not. When apple releases a new version, iTunes will ask if you want to install it. Say NO. Then start reading your favorite hacking site. The last couple of updates had 2 distinct ways to do it. The first step is to always remain calm. You have a working phone that is jailbroken with your favorite apps, themes, etc. There is no reason to let the excitement of a new version ruin that for you. New versions are severely over hyped. I often wish that I was back to version 1.1.4. Read those hack sites because the two ways to do it are different. They are

1. update your new phone through iTunes.
    2. Download and run quickpwn after the update.
    3. install the JB apps of your choice through Cydia.

or

1. download (but do not install) the new update from Apple.
    2. download the pwn tool.
    3. use pwnage to modify the Apple update.
    4. use iTunes to update the phone with the modified version of the update.
    5. install the JB apps of your choice via Cydia.

EVERY time a new update comes out, many people will jump the gun and screw it up and post that their iPhone has been screwed up. Sometimes they miss a tiny step, sometimes they are complete dopes and skip all of the warnings. That's why you wait a week (at least a few days) to see what problems popped up and what they did wrong so that you don't do the same. Nobody at work buys you lunch because you are the first with a new update. None of your neighbors give a crap whether you have the new update or not. It's 90% ego and 10% dream of problems being fixed and new features added. There are advanced ways to update too and they don't come with a prize either. Stick to the basics.

A lot of people know how the new 2.2 will be hacked. Still, the pwnage tool will not be built until the final version is released. There will be changes on it that are not on the current versions. Then it will need to be tested on a variety of different computers running a variety of different operating systems in a variety of different configurations.

Typically, but not always, a Mac version comes out before a Windows version. More than likely a pwnage tool will come out before a quickpwn version comes out.

How did you do you JB your phone this time? Did you use quickpwn?

Thanks so much, this is all very helpful.

Yes, I used quickpwn, but I tell you the truth, I have no idea where I got it. So if you could recommend a known place so I can stick with it, I will really appreciate it. I will take your advise and wait a couple of weeks.