+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPhone and 3G Reception Problems

Yesterday, Trinergy posted a link to a DSLReports.com article that suggested the iPhone's 3G chip may be defective. Today, I found a CNET article that also discussed the problems people across the country are having with 3G and the iPhone. That article appears here.

Because Trinergy's post is buried in my "My First Thirty Days with the iPhone" blog, I thought I would start a new thread so we can track the reports and, hopefully, solutions for the 3G issues. So, feel free to add to this thread links to other reports on the 3G/Infineon chip issue, especially any links that provide a solution.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Location, location, location

I believe it's real estate. I replied early to a thread in Pocket PC Thoughts about this and the general reliability of the iPhone.

My Treo 750 (AT&T 3G, WM 6.0) and my iPhone 3G get the same reception. Does the Treo have the same chip ? Possibly but that wouldn't explain why on Sunday according to the iphone speedtest at dslreports the iPhone got 7 kbs (way worse than dial-up) at one point during the day and then a scant hour later was clocking in at 700 kbs. Judging from the lines I saw around New York, AT&T found themselves with a huge load of new subscribers. It just seems like network capacity. Especially if all these guys are suddenly running Pandora and the other internet radio apps. Certainly a consideration.

By the way how does anyone know that the Verizon phones get better reception ? Bricks don't talk

Regards,
    Kurt

Lawsuit filed

Well, it was only a matter of time before it happened. Someone has filed a lawsuit against Apple over the 3G reception problems. You can read about it here. As an Apple stockowner, I'm not happy over the lawsuit. As a 3G iPhone owner, I'm hoping the lawsuit will spur Apple and/or AT&T to fix the problem sooooon!
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

That looks like a winner.......too bad she signed the AT&T contract that doesn't guarantee 3G service.
    It's working for me, there must not be anything wrong!

Is this iPhone the iPhone Mogul?

Any merit to this?

I was checking out the Apple discussion boards and found this recent thread in which the user states that an Apple representative remotely installed four updates on the user's iPhone during a chat session. Is this really possible? Any thoughts on whether this story is true?
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    I was checking out the Apple discussion boards and found this recent thread in which the user states that an Apple representative remotely installed four updates on the user's iPhone during a chat session. Is this really possible? Any thoughts on whether this story is true?
    NO, that guy did NOT update his iPhone remotely...........he did what we did with a cdma carrier.update the PRL..........on GSM devices the carrier can delete an account, re-instate account, rebuild SIM password and then upload on their servers information of said device...........almost like saying I DELETED ALL THE CACHE FILES, REMOVED ALL PRE-FETCH FILES, REMOVED ALL TEMP FILES AND COOKIES........ I went thru this with a tech before and the result............a whopping "NO SERVICE" icon
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

IMO it's just software and network coverage not hardware, this report just helps confirm that the hardware side is fine: iPhone 3G reception just fine say curious Swedes with engineering degrees - Engadget

My experience is that it is worse then my tilt. Where I get good service inside my house with the iPhone it goes from 1 bar to 3. The tilt goes from 3 to 4. It sometimes loses 3G while tilt never did. Other places where I have 1 bar with the tilt I could still make phone calls. The iPhone in the same are I get call fails and drops. Where the coverage is strong they are both strong it is when it comes to areas that the signal is weaker that the iPhone has a problem for me.
    iPhone 3G 2.0.2 Jailbroken
    tilt WM 6.1 L26 KaiserDiamond v12 Throttle Launch

Quote Originally Posted by Trinergy View Post
    My experience is that it is worse then my tilt. Where I get good service inside my house with the iPhone it goes from 1 bar to 3. The tilt goes from 3 to 4. It sometimes loses 3G while tilt never did. Other places where I have 1 bar with the tilt I could still make phone calls. The iPhone in the same are I get call fails and drops. Where the coverage is strong they are both strong it is when it comes to areas that the signal is weaker that the iPhone has a problem for me.
    That's an interesting comparison. I wonder whether Apple can improve the iPhone's ability to pull in weak signals simply by a firmware update or whether we're going to be stuck with a phone that is not as good as pulling in weak signals as the Tilt.
    -Jay

I finally had my first dropped call(s) in a very long time last night. It took 6 calls to complete the conversation, but, I have a very strong feeling that the monsoon storm the ripped through Chandler last night had something to do with it all, because I could not get 3g or edge in my house that normally has 3 bars of 3g and 5 of edge. I am on a plane to Portland this afternoon, so I will see how the coverage is up there.
    Rob
    Droid-ed and iPhoned!

More testing shows the hardware is fine: AppleInsider | Repeat tests show iPhone 3G doesn't suffer from faulty hardware

Take it for whats it's worth, just hoping you guys with 3g just need a software fix and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    More testing shows the hardware is fine: AppleInsider | Repeat tests show iPhone 3G doesn't suffer from faulty hardware

Take it for whats it's worth, just hoping you guys with 3g just need a software fix and that's it.
    That's a very interesting article, Justin. So, we all could be suffering from AT&T, not iPhone, problems. Wish I had another AT&T 3G device to compare with the iPhone.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
    I finally had my first dropped call(s) in a very long time last night. It took 6 calls to complete the conversation, but, I have a very strong feeling that the monsoon storm the ripped through Chandler last night had something to do with it all, because I could not get 3g or edge in my house that normally has 3 bars of 3g and 5 of edge. I am on a plane to Portland this afternoon, so I will see how the coverage is up there.
    Bowtie,

Because we're both in the Phoenix metro area, I am particularly curious as to what your experience has been. Do you typically have 3G turned on? My coverage problems have mostly disappeared since I turned 3G off. Might it be time to give 3G another try? Also, I can't recall--have you updated to 2.0.2 yet?
    -Jay

That's a very interesting article, Justin. So, we all could be suffering from AT&T, not iPhone, problems. Wish I had another AT&T 3G device to compare with the iPhone.
    Jay, been there, done that.........wifey has the Samsung Blackjack II and SAME issues with 3G on at&t........no frigging bars, dropped calls sometimes NO SERVICE.........she goes into it changes it from 3G back to EDGE all is fine in wife-land I have an iPhone for her (actually my old 2G is what she has now !!! ) and that that is just humming away and my 3G....well lets not go there
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    Jay, been there, done that.........wifey has the Samsung Blackjack II and SAME issues with 3G on at&t........no frigging bars, dropped calls sometimes NO SERVICE.........she goes into it changes it from 3G back to EDGE all is fine in wife-land I have an iPhone for her (actually my old 2G is what she has now !!! ) and that that is just humming away and my 3G....well lets not go there
    So, basically, what it comes down to is this:
    1. AT&T's 3G coverage sucks.
    2. AT&T's 3G coverage is no worse (nor no better) on the 3G iPhone than on any other 3G device offered by AT&T.
    3. For those of us wanting reliable service and an iPhone, we must either: (a) switch off 3G until AT&T improves its network or (b) move to another country, specifically one that has a carrier other than AT&T that offers the iPhone.
    Am I am missing anything?
    -Jay

2. AT&T's 3G coverage is no worse (nor no better) on the 3G iPhone than on any other 3G device offered by AT&T.
    3. For those of us wanting reliable service and an iPhone, we must either: (a) switch off 3G until AT&T improves its network or (b) move to another country, specifically one that has a carrier other than AT&T that offers the iPhone.
    1.......YES
    2.......YES
    3.......a=yes b=divorces get very ugly
    well Sir I think you got it covered on all bases now.......so enjoy your new found love and that will make your wife happy which means your life is peaceful

I agree with equus on all counts... which is why I turn off 3G most of the time. I gave my old 2G iPhone to my son and it still works like a champ and has great coverage. When I turn off 3G I get great coverage and service as well.

For me, I look at it as spending extra $$ to get more storage and GPS, 3G isn't all that. And my son got a cool new phone!

As always, YMMV...
    John

Ok those holding off on the 2.0.2 update need to go for it, looks like 2.0 and 2.0.1 phones can affect other running 2.0.2, that's why at&t sent out the text to upgrade, because 2.0.2 only helps if the majority of phones on a a tower are using it: The Inside Deets on iPhone 2.0.2 and Dropped Calls — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Ok those holding off on the 2.0.2 update need to go for it, looks like 2.0 and 2.0.1 phones can affect other running 2.0.2, that's why at&t sent out the text to upgrade, because 2.0.2 only helps if the majority of phones on a a tower are using it: The Inside Deets on iPhone 2.0.2 and Dropped Calls — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
    OMG..........what a crock of****. Does this person from at&t been to a college? got a degree in Electrical engineering? got a degree in Cellular technology? So, if an user on at&t has not upgraded a GSM phone, then they will encounter call failures? you mean to tell me that a cellular network provider does not have the capability to provide "power" to handle the number of phones they have sold? THIS IS the border line of saying "WE ARE THROTTLING SPEEDS" but we can't say that out in the open BUT this is what you have to do cause all you consumers are dumb and if they give us this crap of UE's and all that garbage people are standing in line for this upgrade!!!!!. I guess when I got my Masters in Electronics Engineering back in the 80's we were not this SMART oh wait we did not have cell phones back then, we used a string and two campbell soup cans that were laying around in our dorms !!!!! my bad.